Floods in Oz

Started by kombi1976, December 09, 2010, 01:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

As most of you Aussie guys would know there are floods all over the NSW state at present and in my home town of Goulburn the banks of the Wollondilly river have burst.
Thankfully there is a wide flood area for the water to spread to.......and spread it has!
First up are pics of the Marsden weir on the Crookwell Rd and pumphouse.....yep, under there somewhere is a weir that is not short.

Note how close to the bridge it is in this pic.....also note the swirling nature.
It was moving fast.

Here's an out the window shot from off the bridge.
Not so clear but the savage power of the water is obvious.

This particular place has a high bridge and the area on the right hand side is one of the holes for the golf course....most of the time.

Anyone remember the historic house I culled 22 rabbits at?
Here are some more sitting out when we drove in this arvo.

And here's the river flat where I must've knocked over 8 or 10....

And a view back to the bridge across the paddock where the horses were.....

Finally here are some pics of the northern entry/exit to Goulburn.
The first one is the river by the jail.
Normally it's an empty gulley.

A rainbow above Goulburn North Maccas.

And now some shots of stiller water beyond the Hume Hwy bridge on the other side to the jail.
With the trees and the width it reminds me of shots of the Rhine.
Here's an old aquaduct that is usually high above the flats.

The view back to the bridge.

The aqueduct with Goulburn's iconic war memorial tower on Rocky Hill at the top right.

And a final shot of a tree to show you how deep the waters actually are.

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

kombi,

Yep........a bit of too much water.  Hope the damage is not too severe.  You and yours are high and dry, I hope.

Take care, my friend.

Ol' John...:Banghead::sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jamie.270

That looks a lot like what happened in Western Oregon/Wash. in '96/97.  
Our local river, the Mohawk, crested 2-1/2 feet above flood stage, and our pastures (10 acres) were under a foot or so of water.  
http://zebu.uoregon.edu/flood3.html
They evac'd us because they were afraid the bridge access was going away, but there was never a real threat to us or the house.  There was too much ground for the water to disperse over.  

Hang on Kombi.  Keep yer powder dry and the family safe (and dry) if you can.  That's what matters.

Good luck mate.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

22hornet

No doubt that the floods are causing wide spread damage. Not good.

But I do love the power of nature.
I was out at Tumberumba for work a couple of weeks ago and we had some flooding out there too. They are still getting hammered.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Beautiful pics of mother nature....too bad she's in a snit down there. Stay dry! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Stay dry Andy. Hope things dry out soon.

Love the Kombi in the background. Kooool.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

The waters are already subsiding a bit and my garage isn't flooded anymore, thankfully!
I should go and check the old house (the one we haven't sold yet) to make sure nothing went under there.
It usually has a river flowing through the backyard in the wet normally.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

bowhunter 51

Surprised to see conditions and the lay-of-the-land so much like it is here
in the river and creek bottoms in West Tennessee....particularly in the Spring.
Great images, Kombi..........Thanks for sharing........................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Fieldmor77

Copping the first big storm of the season as i type this Kombi, we sure have had our share of rain up here too, and the wet season is yet to start!.

Tags: