Think we need a 'making stuff' thread...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 04, 2012, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Well made a brake for the '06 pleased with result at least the thread is protected now! Just need to cast a cart load of heavy 30cal stuff...

Also managed to nadger my drop tube for a Harrell's precision powder measure, sheesh when will I learn to leave stuff alone...
Anyroad, have been using SR4759 in my 17 Rem and found that the Harrell's was unable to throw a remotely consistent measure of this powder.
I was not a happy bunny so after a little research (RTFM) I read 'static problems' aha! So I pinched an earth bonding plug and lead from bruv (thanks Mickey) fitted said gear and began testing again - poo - same result really  really poor charge consistency.
Now after spilling a good tablespoon of powder on the bench I realised it was a 'bridging' problem.
The Harrell's drop tube simply just bridges with a coarse stick powder.
Quick trip to workshop to try and put a nice gentle cone into the perspex drop tube, yeah as I said nadgerd it.

Got to thinking this morning before work that I had received in a relief parcel, from a certain pirate, a nice Possum Hollow drop tube set which was fitted to my RCBS Uniflow - this drop tube never had a bridging problem apart from at the case mouth, which is easy to deal with, quick tap with finger - at least the full charge was visible at the case mouth and not hidden in the chamber of the measure.
Bit of aluminium later... hey presto! - a powder measure that now works as it should!!!!

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Outstanding as usual.

Still want to contact Harrell for replacement tube?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;121940Outstanding as usual.

Still want to contact Harrell for replacement tube?

Paul

Thank you Paul, no need to worry about it!
Will only give me same headache again!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Well.... took on board the comments regarding the radial holes and made a sideways one for the '06 in black;

Turvey Stalking

gitano

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing how that one performs in use.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Nice dies. This should generate some business.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Unlikely, guys just do not want to pay for them so it's a strictly for friends situation!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

I tried, once again, to get to a place in the administration that would allow me to create a new subsite, to no avail.

While this thread has been mostly about the swaging dies, it should not become "The" thread for 'making stuff'. As I pointed out in the "Parker Hale Unveiled" thread, no one is going to be particularly inclined to read through hundreds of posts to find a few on a specific topic. So...

While this thread could be locked to encourage new "making stuff" threads, that would stop the discussion of the swaging dies. Therefore, I would prefer just to encourage those that want to make posts about newly "made stuff" to start new threads.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: