New Bullet Dimension Database Entry Form

Started by gitano, December 18, 2014, 12:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

j0e_bl0ggs suggested that we have a bullet dimension data base here in the Reloading subforum, and provided a nice generic drawing that could be used as a guide. I think that is a great idea and thought it would be a good idea to build a form that people could just fill in with the data. That way, we could have uniform format and it would be WAY easier for people to add data. I found a place to create a form, created the form, and put the link in the "Test Forum" subforum. http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=136322#post136322

Please go there and have a look, try it out, and let me know what you think. BEFORE you try it out, let me explain a couple of the limitations we have on the free version we are beta testing.

1) We are limited to 10 fields of data entry. Therefore, in order to get all of the numerical data in I had to combine the Manufacturer and the Bullet Name. In the final version, we'll have all the fields we need.

2) For the same reason, I had to eliminate the "Nose Length" value. If you want the nose length, you simply have to subtract the bearing length from the total length.

3) We only have 100 "entries" per month. Each time someone adds a bullet is an "entry". We've used two so far getting it set up. Therefore, don't add 'garbage' data when you test it out. Put in real data, please.

As the database gets updated, I will publish the cumulative reports in the Test Forum thread.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Cute, but what practical use is it?
Just asking.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Fair question, Don.

For the "regular Joe" reloader, knowing the length of one's bullet's bearing surface, AND knowing one's chamber length, one can seat one's bullets precisely relative to the lands.

For the reloading nazi, myself included, the above of course applies, but in addition to that, for bullets from manufacturers that don't provide specs on their bullets, you're shootin' in the dark without specs from which to work up loads. Given the specs, I can get a good estimate of BC at various velocities as well as different drag functions (more appropriate to the bullet's shape).

Also, I occasionally find significant differences - as much as 0.100" - in "nominal" bullet lengths and the bullets I actually have in my hand.

Finally, it would just be a repository for bullet spec data easily found because it would be in one place.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: