Cooking/Roasting wild goose

Started by Jamie.270, April 18, 2015, 04:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

I thought I had posted this elsewhere, but I can't find it, so my aging memory has fooled me again!

Roast wild goose.
There are many ways to prepare your geese for the pot, and many don't  involve whole roasting.  But I've found that whole roasting requires  certain steps that must be followed for truly tasty, tender, moist bird.

The first is:  Pluck the bird.  Skinning won't do, as it allows moisture  in the form of water (juices) as well as fat to escape the meat.  Once  those juices/fats escape, getting them back in is darned difficult.
So pluck the bird, don't skin it.  Use needle-nosed pliers if necessary to get all the pin feathers and any broken ones.

Second:  Most geese, at least in the northern half of the lower 48  states of the US, are fat laden to the point that some fat must be  allowed to drain as the goose cooks, or removed and/or re-distributed  during the cooking process.

Third: Goose blood contributes to a very "mineral" (iron) taste to the meat, and is unappetizing from an appearance standpoint as well when it gels as the goose roasts.
Ingredients:
1 TBS Poultry Seasoning.
1 Med-Large Onion, quartered.
2 Med Carrots, cut into 2" sections, peeled and halved.
2 Celery Stalks, cut into 2" sections.
The center celery stalks with the leafy tops left on.
1-2 Apples, cored and quartered.
Honey.

Luckily we can rid the goose of most of the blood and some of the fat with a simple step.
Par-boil the goose.
You will need a large roaster like the blue/speckled enamel roaster,  often oval in shape, that your mom probably had, and hopefully is still  around, and some aluminum foil.

So after your goose is plucked and gutted, and any (visible) shot has  been removed, rinse it thoroughly, paying attention to the cavity.
Then, using a sharply pointed knife or fork, prick/poke the skin  thoroughly all over, leaving a few less holes in the breast area, and a  few more in the thigh area.  Do not poke it too deep, you want to make holes in the skin, not the meat.
Place the goose in the roaster, and fill with water until the goose is  immersed at least half way.  Remove the goose from the water and set  aside.

Start to preheat the oven to 325*.

Place the roasting pan with the water on the stove and add one heaping teaspoon of Poultry Seasoning, the celery tops, and bring to a boil.  Stir, you are making poultry seasoning "tea."
Slowly (and carefully) place the goose in the boiling water.  Using  tongs and a cooking fork, roll the goose every 4-5 minutes or so for  15-20 minutes, parboiling it as uniformly as you can all over.  
This removes the last of the blood from the cavity, as well as removing  some of the under-skin fat, and getting the intramuscular fat melting/moving.

Remove the goose from the water, drain and set it on a large platter to cool enough to handle, and pat it dry with paper towels.
Wash out the roasting pan, removing any fat residue.
Place 2-3 cups of water in the roaster.
Using your hand, smear the inside of the goose cavity with honey generously.
Stuff the goose cavity with the Onion and Apple quarters, Carrots and Celery sections, mixing them up as you stuff.
Smear the outside of the goose with honey.  Not a lot will stick, so don't try to use a lot.

Place the goose in the roaster, breast side up and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Roast in the oven for 1-1/2 hours and remove foil.  Replenish the water in the roaster as necessary, but don't overdo it.  We want it moist, but not braised.

Check the temp of  the breast and thigh meat with a meat thermometer.  You're looking for  170-175*.

Roast another 15-30 min or until the skin is crispy and golden, Basting every 5-10 minutes, and/or until the meat reaches 180*.

Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Carve and enjoy!
PS: you can taste/try the apples and veggies from the cavity, and they may be delicious.
But for some reason, sometimes they just aren't real tasty.  They have been known to take on a gamey minerally taste.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

USE TAGS AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO RELY ON YOUR FADING MEMORY!:angel:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I shall have you know, uh something, ,I had a thought, I thought!
Fading what?
You talking about  blue jeans or shirts?
What were we talking about?

:drama:  :angel:  :MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;138733I use oranges.....delish!
I've been known to do that too.  The additional acid helps some.
On game birds, I usually pair citrus with soy sauce (and ginger) for an Asian flavor.
It also helps to thin the honey with some of the orange juice and soy sauce before smearing the outside.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: