Teutonic Twenty-two Screws

Started by gitano, April 17, 2016, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I already made the replacement screw for the left side of the breech block on this rifle http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15614&page=4 because the 'thing' that was in there was wacko - a piece of aluminum 'threaded' by screwing into the hole. Here's a picture of that finished screw. (Not colored/blacked yet.)

While the screw on the other side was 'fine', I decided I might as well replace it too while the process of making the screw was fresh in my mind. The following is a sequence of photos representing the process.
Starting blank.

To head diamter - 0.236"/6mm.

Shaft diameter - 0.178"/4.5mm

Screw cutting 28 pitch threads on 0.178" shaft for a length of 0.250" by rotating head by hand.

Finished screw-cutting

After sawing off.

After cleaning up the top and getting to proper thickness of 0.125".

In place.

I was having some issues with misfires because the extractor wasn't closing completely. After replacing this screw, that problem has been eliminated.

I'll color the screws before too long.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Beautiful work. You never cease to amaze me.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Too kind, HB. Thank you, but I'm really a hack.

I've been thinking, and since the action literally hinges on these screws, AND the force of the gas pressure puts at least some back-pressure on them, I think I'll make a couple more to have in reserve if/when I wear these two out.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I like the way they used the head of the screw for the pivot.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

It's an interesting design. I really like the simplicity.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Quote from: gitano;144466Too kind, HB. Thank you, but I'm really a hack.

I've been thinking, and since the action literally hinges on these screws, AND the force of the gas pressure puts at least some back-pressure on them, I think I'll make a couple more to have in reserve if/when I wear these two out.

Paul

Make sure to put them in a safe place so you won't be able to find them.:MOGRIN:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

That's my standard operating procedure, Al!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: