Tiny ten

Started by farmboy, April 12, 2016, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

http://www.lbgsafaris.com/Tiny10.html

I would like to do this some day.  If I got real serious I would have to find out slot of things first. Like whick country and which pH to use etc.

gitano

I have a certain fascination with the small antelope too. Actually, considering that I might be able to pull it off without a PH - just a resident - I could be enticed to SA and neighboring countries. Not much time left in my life to do that though. Once you get over 60, long plane flights are actually dangerous.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I have an "acquaintance" in Maine that only hunted small cats in Africa. I would much prefer shooting the feral cats around the back yard. I would like to try the meat of several of the smaller antelope in Africa. From what I've heard it's delicious. .....Paul H

farmboy

Now I look dumb and will have to google it on my Japanese brain but I did not realize there were small cats there.

farmboy

Wow seven different species!

farmboy

That might be a fun hunt as well.

Paul Hoskins

Farmboy, from what my "acquaintance" in Maine told me they're not easy to come by. Very difficult to kill because they're so nocturnal but can be killed during the day under the right circumstances. Best I remember he said he uses a 22 Magnum on them. Sounds reasonable enough to me since I don't use big calibers on anything including black bear or deer. ......Paul H

farmboy

Not sure that a person would need a 375 or bigger to hunt those little guys with! Lol. Some of them are house cat size!

MusgraveMan

It is an old thread but when I saw it I thought it merits some input.

Of course one does not NEED anything larger than a .22 LR to kill most antelope - but there are situations that makes it a clever choice to use a heavy bullet at moderate velocity that will not change its frontal shape or slow down even the tiniest bit.
 A .375 bullet of 300 gr impacting at below 2,400 ft/sec and that does not slow down at all causes no lateral damage and leaves only a tiny entrance and exit hole.  So a .375 calibre monolithic solid like the Peregrine VRG-2 or the GSC Flat Nose solid or the Impala solid or any such bullet is a clever choice on these little animals.

Having said that - South African hunters do not really hunt them.

gitano

Welcome, MusgraveMan!

Fair enough. In the US, the phrase often used by those that employ large caliber bullets at moderate impact velocities is; "You can eat right up to the hole."

You might be interested in reading this thread: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566&highlight=Power There are several posts by a fellow South African.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

MusgraveMan

For those readers who have not seen the comparisons yet - the attached photo shows a few of the tiny ten antelope mounted with the 2,000 lb eland.

Jamie.270

Wow!
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.
Amazing difference in size.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

MusgraveMan

Immediately to the left of the 2,000 lb eland is the dik-dik which together with the blue duiker are South Africa's smallest antelope weighing a mere 9-11 lbs.

At the top right is a klipspringer (translated as "rock jumper", weighing around 20 lbs.  The name suggests its habitat - rocky outcrops. It has two unique features - it is the only species in its genus, and it is totally independent of water.

To its left is a female common duiker and typically weighs 35 lbs. Common is the identifying description - they are all over South Africa and commonly seen.  The duiker has very, very good meat and maybe the only one of the tiny ten which is now and then hunted.  In fact I still have two duiker rear legs and a sirloin in my freezer.

Below the duiker is a Sharpe's grysbok, which weighs 20-23 lbs. "grys" refers to the individual "greying hairs" inbetween the rufus pelt.

Tags: