Parker Hale Scout .308

Started by branxhunter, February 20, 2017, 01:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;147184First time I have ever heard one of these:

http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Parker%20Hale%20Scout.pdf

Marcus

Looks like a regular M98 action with a hideous huge magazine adapted. No thanks.
I would rather shoot than scout anyway.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jaeger88

I remember them well, & occasionally we get one through the shop.

My first center fire rifle was a Parker Hale 1200C Superclip in .308.

Rumor had it that PH used Spanish military Mauser actions, which I'm pretty sure my 1200 had, because it had the cut out in the left side of the action for loading with a stripper clip.

I'm pretty certain they were aimed at cashing in on the concept of Colonel Cooper's Scout rifle, not just produced solely as a short handy rifle.

I dont recall seeing them when they were new, with a long Weaver base for a forward mounted Scout scope though.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

sakorick

Those LaCorona actions are sweet. I built Eric's '06 Ack using one.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Is that not a civilian version of the sniper rifle they sold?

jaeger88

No, the PH M85 Sniper weapon was certainly available on the civilian market, if you could afford one.

It lost out against the AI L96 A1 in British army trials, & so they adopted the AI.

Not sure though if the M85 only became available to civilians for this reason. Maybe PH were hoping to cut their losses by offering it to the great unwashed masses.

Ive never had the Scout & the M85 side by side to compare them, but I think they probably use the same magazine system.  

Perhaps low sales of the M85 prompted them to use the actions and mag system for the Scout ?.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

jaeger88

Just spotted a deliberate mistake in one of my previous posts, my first center fire BOLT action rifle was a PH 1200C Superclip.

My first center fire rifle was a Springfield M1A.

Best rifle I ever owned.
I cant believe in fate.

gitano

Quote from: jaeger88My first center fire rifle was a Springfield M1A.

Best rifle I ever owned.
:eek:

Is that rifle legal with a 10 round magazine, in OZ, Marcus? Not in California.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Although that particular rifle is in th UK, large magazines are legal in Australia. Currently 13 shot mags are being sold to suit Tikka T3 actions.

I Peterson ally am not a fan of a magazine that protrudes below the stock. The generally air right where you want to carry the rifle, and get in the way when trying to shoot over a field rest.  The Brno ZKW465 is one of the most beautiful looking rifles only spilt by that infernal magazine.

Marcus

gitano

Interesting. I try not to think about Kalifornia any more than I have to, but I am fairly sure that magazines with capacities greater than 5 are illegal.

It isn't the rules in Kalifornia that that bother me. There are 'rules' everywhere in the world. It's the IDIOTS making the rules that make me want to spit. Their ignorance about firearms is mind-numbing, and yet they make the rules.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

It's a tidy enough rifle but I hate muzzle breaks. I still don't get the whole "scout rifle" thing though. Would it just be a "carbine"? But I guess "scout" sells.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Actually, I was a bit surprised by the "scout" moniker. When I think "scout" rifle, I think of one with the 'scope mounted forward. (See attached image file below.)

I had to go back and look at the muzzle brake, and it is as I thought, detachable. Therefore, I don't mind it because I can remove it. I would think a .308 Win with an 18" barrel might bark a little even without the brake. (I note that the reviewer/author spelled brake both "brake" and "break" in the text.)

I also don't care for protruding magazines, but... If it takes a magazine, especially a 10-round one, it should be able to take a 5-round one that doesn't protrude. If such a one were made.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I like short, handy rifles but the moniker "Scout" or "Guide" gun does nothing for me. Muzzle "brakes" turn me off. There's no such thing as a "muzzle break.' Break means it's busted. Brake means stopping. News anchor, Lester Holt (ptooey) calls Appalatchian Mountains "Appalashian. There's no "S" in the name. He doesn't know ....:oops: anyway. He also gives distance in minutes or hours. He doesn't have a clue about measurement in feet or miles. Sorry for the rant but things like that burn my old wrinkled behind. ......Paul H

gitano

While I don't care much about "scout", "guide gun" galls me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

loiner1965

[ATTACH]15957[/ATTACH]
this is with 175 gn vlds at same distance and a 5 shot group.
i can group it tighter with 45gn of varget with the vlds but i am saving the varget lol
i shoot through a small tunnel and i do get heat haze as i shoot on high mag and have a predator mod on too which retains the heat.....so clarity of the target is not so good after 2 shots.....i do have twin 12v fans  on magnets stuck to the walls powered by 12 v phone top up batteries which work brilliantly.
i use to have both 5 and 10 shot mags but gave them away as i think they ugly and the rifle is beautiful without them....will never sell it.
my other ph rifle which is a super deluxe 30-06 shoots 168 smk just as good as these groups

Tags: