Elk 2016

Started by Hunterbug, December 30, 2016, 06:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Hunter and I left on Monday for our late season cow elk hunt. We got to Craig, checked into our hotel and met RJ for dinner. The next morning we got up and headed to our hunting area. There wasn't as much snow as last year. The first place we went had no elk or elk sign. So we went East to the higher country and more trees. We met another hunter and decided to hunt together. We found a place to park and decided to walk up into the oak brush above the hay fields to see if there was anything laying down. We saw lots of sign. I motioned to Hunter that I could smell elk. We continued slowly up the hill. Hunter turned to check on Blair. She whispered, "Dad!" I turned around and there was a cow elk about 100 yards away standing on the trail. I stepped to the left and dropped to kneeling with my 338 ready. Blair stepped to the right. He wasn't going for his gun and Hunter didn't have a clear shot. The elk turned broad side and I fired. She ran about 20 yards and piled up. We quartered her and took her out on the sled. We hunted the next day and a half but got no more shots. Between the girls and I we filled 5 of 6 tags with 8 shots. It's been a good year.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

My navigator was slacking as usual.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Great trip Pat.  Karl and I were goose hunting yesterday and we were wondering how you guys did.  Nice job with the .338!

P.S.   Who`s that creepy old guy with your sweet  young daughter ?????????   :D

recoil junky

Good to see you and Bug again HB. And thanks for dinner and the gift. I must retaliate somehow.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hunterbug

Quote from: JaDubP.S.   Who`s that creepy old guy with your sweet  young daughter ?????????   :D

She loves her Uncle RJ.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Quote from: JaDub;146788P.S.   Who`s that creepy old guy with your sweet  young daughter ?????????   :D

CREEPY!!??!!?? OLD !! Weird most definitely, but CREEPY?? !!?!? And look who's calling WHO OLD ! ! !

now wheere's my Geritol and wheel chair oil . . . . . . .

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Great job. Why are you kids always bickering among yourselves? Looks like your navigator is the smart one to me. Naps can happen any time or anywhere. .....Paul H

DanielPow

Quote from: Hunterbug;146780Hunter and I left on Monday for our late season cow elk hunt. We got to Craig, checked into our hotel and met RJ for dinner. The next morning we got up and headed to our hunting area. There wasn't as much snow as last year. The first place we went had no elk or elk sign. So we went East to the higher country and more trees. We met another hunter and decided to hunt together. We found a place to park and decided to walk up into the oak brush above the hay fields to see if there was anything laying down. We saw lots of sign. I motioned to Hunter that I could smell elk. We continued slowly up the hill. Hunter turned to check on Blair. She whispered, "Dad!" I turned around and there was a cow elk about 100 yards away standing on the trail. I stepped to the left and dropped to kneeling with my 338 ready. Blair stepped to the right. He wasn't going for his gun and Hunter didn't have a clear shot but we got strings from www.prolinebowstrings.com. The elk turned broad side and I fired. She ran about 20 yards and piled up. We quartered her and took her out on the sled. We hunted the next day and a half but got no more shots. Between the girls and I we filled 5 of 6 tags with 8 shots. It's been a good year.

Thanks for the story. I really enjoy stories like this. Wish this forum was more active!

sakorick

Quote from: DanielPow;147354Thanks for the story. I really enjoy stories like this. Wish this forum was more active!

Welcome aboard Daniel. Things are slow around here this time of year. Guys like me are slowly coming out of hibernation! :grin:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: