Bad day in the rebluing room

Started by sakorick, March 28, 2017, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I'm trying to figure out what went haywire. I am rebluing an old German Mauser bolt.
The extractor, firing pin, Extractor ring and bolt sleeve lock came out great. The bolt body, shroud, safety and cocking piece look bad....real bad. All the parts were cleaned together, rinsed together and entered the bluing salts tank together. This one has me puzzled. Everything is soaking in oil right now and tomorrow morning I'll repolish the bad parts, reclean them and use a new batch of salts. I can't find my good bluing thermometer perhaps the little meat thermometer didn't work. I either had an over heat or some kind of contamination. More later.
:undecided:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, that's odd. Sounds like the parts are made of different materials. Are you using a lye & ammonia nitrate solution? It usually blues everything unless a brass brush was used on the parts.  .....Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Waiting for the 'good day in the rebluing room'.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

sakorick

Looks good now!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Certainly is! Nice one there Rick!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: