Terrace work

Started by sakorick, April 13, 2017, 02:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Steve and Bill finished the 18 acres on the west side of the ditch and will move to the front tomorrow. Things are looking good. Soon my entire farm will br terraced.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Loads of playin' in the dirt!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Yep....I'm heading out with the 4010 to disc the new work. This chunk will be ready for planting next month.

recoil junky

Too bad I'm not closer, it's been AGES since I drove a 4010!!! I was always stuck with puny tractors like this:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Here is me and John together for 3 hours smoothing the work site.....lots of ruts and dozer marks.

sakorick

Work progressing in front.....here it the top terrace between my house and Hwy 5.

branxhunter

So what is the idea of the terraces at your place Rick? Is it to slow down overland runoff and promote infiltration? It is hard to tell from the photos but some of that soil looks sandy - is erosion a problem?

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;147588So what is the idea of the terraces at your place Rick? Is it to slow down overland runoff and promote infiltration? It is hard to tell from the photos but some of that soil looks sandy - is erosion a problem?

Marcus

Good Question.....complex answer. Not sandy! The soil in N. Missouri is fragile and our forefathers burned all the topsoil off with bad farming practices.....they didn't know any better and our topsoil is now in the Mississippi delta. Underlying the topsoil is a nasty clay called Caliche. This means that once water has rutted the ground down to the clay we now have a downhill bowling alley which strips the ground into huge ditches. My farm has been in the Conservation Reserve Program(CRP) for 30 years and I now have generated enough topsoil to actually start growing things......like food!

Now here's the catch.....without terraces to gently remove the water from my fields, there will be no topsoil left for future generations to farm. Terraces do more than just help with erosion, they also help in building topsoil because of modern farming techniques. It's a win win for everyone. Responsible use of water and taking care of the land=food for the world!

Tags: