Thank you brother...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 16, 2017, 01:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

My brother Michael put his paws in his pockets for this machine.
The SAM annealer turned up today, what a lovely bit of kit. Safe to use in the loading room, convenient enough to do a few cases, fast enough to do a hundred!

Youtube link

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

SmokeyJoe

That's a serious bit of kit! Very nice. I think I should thank Mickey too ;)
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think".

"I would rather be somebody's shot of whiskey, than everybody's cup of tea."

"Give a small man power, and he'll show you how small he is."

Guns-Pencils.png

sakorick

I looks way too complicated for me.:rolleyes:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

What SmokeyJoe said!

WAY COOL! But then I'm a bit of a gadget-head.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Me too Rick. I'll stick with the propane torch, my fingers and a 5 gallon bucket of water for quenching. I can do one, ten, one hundred or a thousand depending on my mood.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I'll bite. Too complicated to press a button to set the timer and drop a case in?
The point of this machine is that there are -
a: NO NAKED FLAMES in MY reloading room
b: consistency.
I can effectively anneal brass on my loading bench as I go along, but some people are obviously too pig-headed not to not see the plus side of that, but that is not my problem, just saying...

I posted this thread as a public 'thank you' to my brother Michael - not an advertisement or recommendation if you care to read the thread title.

I freely admit that this machine is not for everyone but seeing that brass prices are getting simply stupid here I personally have zero issues with it.
In the long run it will pay for itself in useful brass life (without the problems associated with flame annealing).
Want to carry on burning your fingers, setting fire to stuff etc? Have at it, I just don't care.

BTW - Brass does not need a water quench, unless you overheat the brass (and fingers) while guessing your annealing temperature...

Ran a bunch of cases through the machine last night - basically any brass I had laying around, I ran 22hornet, 222, 223 243, 22-250, 204, 17rem, 6.5x55, 308, 270, 3006, 444, 338-06, 8x68s, through it. Setting up was so simple for each case that I think even some on this forum would not find it too difficult - though I might have to wait for evidence there...

My home built annealer has been gifted to a forum member and will go on a trip to Cornwall soon to someone who appreciates 'Heath Robinson' and not burning his fingers (plus he has the compressor and propane available to run it).
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I want one that's for sure. Fire of any kind in my gun room simply scares the heck out of me. I would guess that Hornady is in talks with their Chinese associates to produce one that is fairly affordable that I'll buy in a heartbeat. Lyman has come up with some useful products lately like their case conditioner machine. When you get old you get arthritis in your hands and fingers so simple things like brass prep becomes very painful. Many reloaders don't understand annealing and don't have the confidence to learn how to do it. The Sam ......at the right price would storm the market!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

SmokeyJoe

"at the right price would storm the market!" - I am of the same opinion there.

Compared to my postman or my wife, I am a techno-whiz. Compared to JB and doubtless most others on here, I am a techno-neanderthal. That machine takes out the risks, guesswork, mistakes, blisters and burns, and in my case leaves the often clear for lemon sponge and chocolate brownies. Unfortunately I don't use enough brass to justify even considering buying one, but to say I am grateful for JB's idea of a Heath Robinson hand-me-down is the understatement of the year.

"
to someone who appreciates 'Heath Robinson'" - JB I hate to question your judgement, but I think your definition of "Heath Robinson" needs some drastic realignment. :D. That machine is a work of art in my opinion, but then I am a neanderthal as I said!
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think".

"I would rather be somebody's shot of whiskey, than everybody's cup of tea."

"Give a small man power, and he'll show you how small he is."

Guns-Pencils.png

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah Rick, induction annealing is the way to go, manufacturers do it this way.
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

You are too kind SJ. I know you and the boys will have a hoot with the 'Heath Robinson'...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Yeah, I agree with SmokeyJoe on the "Heath Robinson" assessment. (Stateside, 'Heath Robinson' is 'Rube Goldberg'.) I wouldn't call the "bespoke" one J0e_Bl0ggs made a Rube Goldberg device.

I have always used the torch-and-hold method myself. However, that process has me waiting longer between annealing operations than I would if I had this machine in hand. I'd probably anneal every reload if I had this. I don't like the price, but as J0e_Bl0ggs said; brass prices 'over there' are getting stupid. In fact, the same can be said for 'over here' too, just not YET to the level of gouging that it is in GB. Also, when I started using MAPP gas canisters, I melted a couple of cases before my fingers got too hot. Of course they were cases for wildcats and had a higher value. :angry:

Does the SAM device use induction heating? If so:
1) What's the time-to-anneal for the average case?
2) Is the time-to-anneal different for a .22 Hornet and a .30-06?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yes it is purely induction heating. Hornet case done in ~1 second 17 rem 1.4 seconds, time varies with thickness of brass. The '06 was not much more than 1.5 seconds, just don't recall.

I will be annealing every reload from now on, as said before this is safe to use in the loading room.
Turvey Stalking

Tags: