Time to plant Sunflowers

Started by sakorick, May 17, 2017, 12:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Here we go....
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

What good fortune....we had an inch of rain last night. I bet these seeds are happy campers!

Hunterbug

Dove hunt at Rick's house! If the storm that we have here gets to you, you'll get a lot more rain.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;147837Dove hunt at Rick's house! If the storm that we have here gets to you, you'll get a lot more rain.

Forecast calls for 90 % Friday and 99% early Saturday. I heard the mountains got 2 feet of snow!

Hunterbug

This was taken this morning in Frisco.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Oh QUIT!!!! Our eight inches is almost gone already. Had over a foot at work and we had 't shut down because it was snowing too hard for the road crew to keep up.

I want to plant some sunflowers for the birds to eat this winter, plus they look cool. They only get about 5 feet tall and the "bloom" is only about 4 inches across . . . . . . .

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Holy Moly! This is almost June!!!!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

The days are zooming past, don't think we get 24 hours in a day anymore....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;147843The days are zooming past, don't think we get 24 hours in a day anymore....

When you were a kid the school year seemed like an eternity. By the time you hit 70, a day is like two or three hours and a week goes by scary fast.:eek:

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;147841Oh QUIT!!!! Our eight inches is almost gone already. Had over a foot at work and we had 't shut down because it was snowing too hard for the road crew to keep up.

I want to plant some sunflowers for the birds to eat this winter, plus they look cool. They only get about 5 feet tall and the "bloom" is only about 4 inches across . . . . . . .

RJ

Sunflowers need at least 150 lbs of Nitrogen per acre. I am on 36" rows and try to plant seeds 9"apart. This year I used a 50-25-25 mix of nitrogen phosphate and potash, 950 total pounds for 3 1/2 acres. A soil test would also be helpful as you probably need some lime. I use Peredovik seeds as they are high in oil content, drought resistant and very hardy. You can talk to the Sunflower professor at CSU for tips on growing Sunflowers in Colorado.....and it's free info. Tell him your yield goal is 2000'/acre. Plant 1/2" deep when the bare dirt temp is>55 degrees.

Tags: