Parker Hale and Scopes

Started by radiorabbi, May 25, 2017, 03:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiorabbi

Hey Folks
Had my recently acquired PH 1100 deluxe in .308 Winchester out to the range today.
starting at 25 yards because  i wanted to know if i could hit the paper at 100 before wasting too many rounds....clean miss high.

I got it  for an excellent Price , too good to be true kind of price so  i was really looking to see what was wrong with it.  [ something had to be wrong ]

adjusted POA to the bottom of an 11 inch piece of paper one Hit  about 7 inches above that.  At 25 Yards

adjusted the scope to drop POI by  40  clicks to end of adjustment
 end result 12 inches above POA at 100 yards

well that tells me what was wrong and why the low price  

with the ammo i am using for the test  that 12 inches high translates to a 460 yard zero and he was another 40 clicks above that so either an extreme range shooter
or somebody got rid of it  because he could not get it on paper and had no idea how to get it right

easy enough to fix with a shim i suppose

Brain Fart  the PH 1200 C in .30-06 i had also needed a shim to get on paper

So My Question  is this Coincidence  or  is it common that  the available Base Blocks need to be shimmed when mounting a scope on Parker Hales ?

Curios ,  Mike

gitano

Hello Mike,

I haven't heard of that problem with PH rifles. Is there any chance the rings are of different heights?

Did the 'scope come with the rifle? More importantly, did the BASE come with the rifle?

If the previous owner was an F-Class target shooter, he may have installed a base with 20 to 40 inches of 'rise' on it if he ran out of 'scope adjustment. 12 MoA high at 100 when at 'bottom' of scope elevation plus, 'mid-point' on scope of at least another 12 MoA, and you are in the vicinity of 'standard' elevated bases for long-range target shooting.

Just sort of random thoughts on what might be causing the 12" high at 100 with all the elevation taken out of the 'scope.

Personally, I have used shims on scope rings, but I REALLY don't like 'em on a hunting arm.

Let us know what you end up with.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Interesting - I have had to shim the scope on my Parker Hale .243 as well.

Marcus

radiorabbi

Hey Paul

Thanks for responding.

The scope and bases came mounted on the rifle.

The rings are exactly the same height as measured from the base of the ring
 to the bottom of the scope tube with a Dial Caliper.

The Bases of course are different heights as required
  to accommodate the different heights  of the receiver at mounting positions.

Bases are the Weaver 45 on the rear and 46 on the front, which matches the
info for Parker Hale on the Mount chart on Weaver's website.

Short of adding a shim under the front Mount  the only thing i can try is
Lapping the rings; i do have a kit.

while scope flexing due to  poor ring alignment might be a problem 16 to 20 MOA seems a bit much.  Then again perhaps not .

This situation pretty much duplicates my prior experience with a brand new PH 1200 C in 1976.
Hence the original post.

I considerd the Possibility of an Extreme Range shooter ; unlikely in Nova Scotia as
the only ranges beyond 300 yards i am aware of are Military,
 though the rifle could have come from out West i suppose.

the bases and rings seem to exclude that possibility.

Again thanks for your input and i will post an update in the next few months.

Mike

gitano

I didn't remember that about your .243, Marcus. Interesting.

Frankly, it sounds to me like the "recommended" bases are wrong, with the front one too low. Or possibly, there were small variations (0.010") in the OD of the front ring of the PH receivers. Seems an easy fix to replace it with a higher one. A 'rule of thumb' when adjusting sights is 0.001" at the rifle makes 1" at 100yd. If you're looking to 'lose' 20 MoA, a front base that was 0.020" higher would do the trick.

Looking forward to hearing how you remedy the problem.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

radiorabbi

Thanks for that Marcus..... beginning to look like  some kind of standard or trend .
perhaps weaver got the formula wrong, perhaps sloppy QC, perhaps Parker Hale  shaved a wee bit off the rear of the receiver and other providers never got the memo.

Paul, on my 1200 C i only had 1 problem in 15 years or so with loose scope mounts, and that could not be attributed to the Shim as both front and rear mounts shook loose.
we had been rattling around on a snow machine for about 50 miles or so following which i missed an easy shot  at some Caribou on a small lake.....several times.

on the way home i noticed the scope rattling .

flushing the holes in the receiver and the threads on the screws followed by a moderate application of lock tite and it never happened again in spite of many more instances of some rigorous  treatment.

I went on to take another dozen head of big game following that misadventure so the shim, while not the perfect solution, really did not cause any problems.
The experience of others of course may vary .

Have contacted a local Gunsmith  regarding some shims

More as it comes

Mike

Tags: