new Mauser sporter

Started by JaDub, June 19, 2017, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Here`s the new Mauser 7mm mag that became part of my collection a few weeks back. Started out as a K98 and was Sporterized by a pro gunsmith . Failing health ( or death ) brought about the liquidation of the shop and all contents. I`d hazard a guess that this was one of his `babies`. Aftermarket barrel etc and one MOA makes this a sweet heart to shoot. I`d appreciate all comments as to what you see. I am certainly no expert and I`d like to hear all comments ( good or bad ) about what you see. What would it cost to have the stock checkered?? As nice as the wood is........ do I WANT to checker it ??

Bare with me as I try to bring up some photos.............

Didn`t mean to bring up that whole album........ new Photo Bucket process and I havn`t

figured it out yet.........

gitano

That's a beaut! There are those that don't actually like checkering. Jay Edwards for example. He considered checkering to "just some place to hold blood". I really don't consider it utilitarian, although some like to argue that. The 'slipperyness' of the stock depends a lot on the finish. I look at checkering like engraving on the metal. It tends to give the piece a 'finished' (completed) look. In truth, checkering actually HIDES the beauty of the wood as you cannot see the grain through most checkering. I believe that if you get it professionally checkered, you will add to its value.l

Sakorick should have some names for where you can get it checkered.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Your decision. Big D will do it for ??? depending on how fancy you want it. He charges me less than others. It's a beautiful piece of wood!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: