Started by Alboy, July 31, 2017, 10:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I am a 'subscriber' to Taofledermaus's YouTube channel. You might wander around his various videos.

1) He is ignorant of ballistics, but has become an "expert" by virtue of "experience". That comment doesn't mean I don't like his videos.
2) These days, he mostly uses a cop to do the shooting, while he does the filming. Another "expert" by virtue of being a cop. As cops go, he seems "better than most" and sticks mostly (but not exclusively) to what he SEES instead of what he "thinks". Mostly.

What I have come away with from his videos is what a "good" shotgun projectile shape is: Pellet gun pellet. Mostly. Regardless of the material, projectiles shaped like a classic pellet gun pellet (kind of like a badminton shuttlecock - weight forward with obturating skirt), fly the straightest and tumble the least. Imagine that: Adheres to the the physical laws of motion.

There are some Russians on Facebook and Ebay making molds for shotgun slugs INCLUDING 16 gauge! That's the 'good' news. The bad news is the price - $96 + S&H. That's the starting prices. They go up from there.

I am at the place I find myself so often these days: I know what works. NO ONE wants to "keep it simple" and to "what WORKS", so I have to make it myself. What "works" is a simple projectile design (pellet gun pellet), with an appropriate sabot. Brenneke has been making something along this line for a long time. They are EXCELLENT shotgun cartridges, but OF COURSE they don't make them for 16 gauges. At least not imported into the US. I'd also like one in 28 gauge too, but I don't want a 28 ga slug NEARLY as much as a 16 ga one. I could have one, as long as I was willing to 1) pay A LOT for the mold, and 2) was willing to PUT UP WITH what someone else thinks I should have! Insulted TWICE!

If I were younger and "just had to have it", I'd 'settle' for what someone else thinks I should have. But... I'm NOT younger, and I DON'T have to 'settle'. I might end up doing without, but at this stage of my life, I'm fine with doing without instead of taking something that I KNOW isn't 'the best' it could be, instead of what "sells BEST". Those two factors - SELLS best, and IS best - are RARELY these days, found in the same product. At my age, I don't give a tinker's dam for 'compromise'.

Kinda wandered off topic there. That can happen when "what do you think" is the lead-in.  ;) and :oops:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: