1923 National Match '03 Range Report

Started by sakorick, August 08, 2017, 12:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I never thought I would be able to use open sights anymore but all that has changed. First, it was obvious that I needed a thicker front blade.....so did the USMC in WWII. The 1st Marine Division landed on Guadalcanal with their 1903 Springfields and quickly found out they were in a night war with the Japanese. The Thick front USMC sight was born.....and I got my hands on one. They are 0.095 thou thick. Then I went on Apertures and More and they had a 0.095 that replaced the 0.040 impossible to see through aperture on my Lyman 48. I sure got excited as I started letting bullets fly. I am trying to replicate WWI ammo by loading up Sierra 150 grain bullets coupled with both anemic loads of IMR4064 and RL15. My first two groups were far from spectacular both around 2 1/2 inches. That's when the magic happened. I put my new long range prescription glasses on and gosh, there was the front sight clear as a bell and there was the 100 yard target....it was like magic! Then I shot group 3 with RL15 after adjusting the Lyman and ....drum roll.......MOA! Then I adjusted the Lyman for one last shot which was near perfect. I quit. I am going to resume in the AM when it's cooler. Guess what I'm taking deer hunting this year.....how about a 95 year old Springfield.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

That's great, Rick! Glad to see everything came in after the front blade fiasco.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;148660Nice shooting, Rick.

Thanks Bug.....Lot of luck I think. Tomorrow will tell the tale!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

The one I made for you was over 0.1" wide plus you wanted it taller if I recall.

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I found out if inspected at Camp Perry it would have been disallowed. Then I accidentally sold it with the 1928. Anyway I can't shoot this 1923 National Match at Camp Perry as it has a reverse safety which was made this way on purpose for target rifles!

I shot several groups today, all very good and finally got her dialed in right where I want it. With 22 grains of RL22 it's chrony shows 2777 which again it right where I want it. I now have a load using Lake City brass that essentially duplicates what they were shooting in the early 20's. So now I'm cleaning brass and will make the new loads using the same recipe only I'm going to crimp them as well.

Hunterbug

Quote from: sakorick;
 With 22 grains of RL22 it's chrony shows 2777 which again it right where I want it.

That's a pretty light load. What bullet are you using? I might have to make a trip out just to shoot this rifle.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;148693That's a pretty light load. What bullet are you using? I might have to make a trip out just to shoot this rifle.

Bug....I'm shooting a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, flat base bullet. I took the following from my Manual No 1923, The United States Rifle, Cal. 30 Model of 1903, Revised Jan 22, 1917 which states: The bullet weighs 150 Grains has a flat base and a standard Muzzle Velocity of 2700 feet per second. By 1925 they changed to a 174 grain bullet then in 1936 changed it again to a 152 grain bullet with a MV of 2805. So I just guessed by 1923 the bullet's MV was somewhere around 2750 as they improved the powder nearly every year. The Army was very strict with their ammunition. They required each bullet to have a disc of shellacked paper over the powder and a drop of shellac over the primer to make the bullet waterproof. The "charge is of a pyrocellulose composition very similar to the powders propelling charges in field and seacoast guns."

You can read the manual signed by Capt Sparks in 1919 when you get here! Also, you will not believe how smooth the action is and how light the trigger breaks on a National Match rifle.

JaDub

Nice shoot`n , Rick !!  Gotta be a hoot shooting your 03.

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;148698Nice shoot`n , Rick !!  Gotta be a hoot shooting your 03.

It really is just about the most fun I have had shooting in years. These rifles are simply sensational and nearly 100 years old. All the NM rifles made between ? and 1922 had the star gauged barrels. This one is a 1923 and has the inspectors initials and number on the barrel under the handguard, however, it appears like he forgot to stamp the itty bitty star on the muzzle which started in 1923.  Must have been done on a Friday and he was looking forward to the pub!

Tags: