A bird in the hand...

Started by gitano, August 18, 2017, 09:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I'm smoking fish bellies at the moment, and refreshing the 'smoke' about every 45 minutes. When I went out to put the next batch of ash (tree) shavings on the fire I found this little fellow (Setophaga auduboni) known as (pick your poison) yellow-rumped warbler, myrtle warbler, or Audubon's warbler.

And the body in my hand for size reference. They're smaller than chickadees (Poecile sp.)

Since he seemed like he might actually make it, I took him back outside and set him on the squirrel trap, hoping he would regain his senses enough to fly off. He was a bit woozy still, but could keep himself upright, so I took a few more pictures.

He had run into one of the large windows on the front of my house and was pretty seriously addled. I wasn't sure he was going to make it. Many don't, like this guy, a nuthatch (Sitta canadensis).

But as of now, the little warbler seems to be gathering its wits. This year has seen fewer window strikes and kills. But, it's fall, and the mortalities may pick up.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

i wish more sparrows would fly into our "large" windows. :stare:

Between those and the "ring necked crows" I'm being eaten out of house and home trying to feed the half dozen chipmunks an the few finches that come to eat, oh and raccoons and skunks. :mad: :mad:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Beautiful little birds & great pictures. We see them on occasion here in spring. RJ, I don't have many problems with house sparrows or starlings lately. Most of my pest birds are house finches. Despicable little filthy varmints. A hen turkey is on my bad bird list too. :Banghead: Paul thanks for sharing really good pictures. ....../Paul H

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

"The grass is always greener...", but for my two-cents-worth, Australia has way cooler birds, but more importantly, the 'cool ones' are EVERYWHERE!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, we seldom see the red breasted nuthatches around here. Lots of white breasted on a daily basis. Lots of titmice & chickadees. Around the feeders we see hundreds of house finches & goldfinches. I despise both. Especially house finches. Filthy, useless little :cens:. Lots of mourning doves too but they're a game bird & make the best dumplings possible. .......Paul H

gitano

I was always amazed that tiny little birds like chickadees and nuthatches could make it through the winter up here. All the way to the south slope of the Brooks range, where winter is LONG and COLD. The smaller you are, the harder it is to keep warm. Many northern species hibernate. Also, many of the smaller birds fly south for the winter, BUT NOT THE SMALLEST ONES! Amazing!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: