Praying Mantis

Started by recoil junky, September 01, 2017, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Probably not a rarity in most parts, but in the high desert of NW Colorado, this is the first one I've seen.

Rather friendly, I had her walking all over me for about 5 minutes before she took off.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

They're not as common as one might think based on TV. None in AK. Cool that you got to see one "in the wild". Egg capsules can be purchased to set in your garden so that the mantises will eat the 'bad' bugs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

One of my favorite bugs. We normally have lots of them around the house till this year. Haven't seen one all summer. They like to sit on the hummingbird feeders & catch flies, ants & unfortunately honey bees. Last summer around 50  tiny mantises hatched out in the vines at the end of our porch.    ......Paul H

Jorge in Oz

I did a one in a million shot on a praying mantis in the garage. It was a big green one. Was cleaning the surface rust off my air rifle at the time after two weeks of rain, when I lived in Queensland, and it was propped up on my bench and I took his head off with that shot. Wished I had filmed it. Mean I know, but we had an abundance of them on the Sunshine Coast.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

They love my place. They really are cool but terrible fliers.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Flying isn't what they do best. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: