Well, I guess the good news is that we're half way "there"

Started by gitano, September 21, 2017, 08:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Today is the autumnal equinox. Mostly, the length of daylight and darkness over the entire planet is equal - 12 hours each. (Technically, there's some wobble in the earth's axial position, and EXACT 12:12 light-to-dark will occur in a day or so.)

The "bad" news is that on either side of equinox, we are losing light at the fastest rate. Except of course our members in Australia and New Zealand, who are GAINING light at the fastest pace! :p

The "good" news is that we are half way to the winter solstice (December 21), when we will again start to GAIN daylight.

This dark part of the year is my 'cranky' time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I know the feeling, Paul. About the only good I see in this time of year any more is harvest time for our summer work. It also brings hunting seasons for various wild game. Squirrels are cutting nuts &  black gum & dogwood berries. Birds are fattening up on seeds & mast too. Grouse are getting wild grapes & other berries. According to scientist, Neanderthals were hunters & gatherers so I guess their DNA is still with some of us. I like fall but winter sucks any more for me. ......Paul H

gitano

I like Fall and Spring. Not sure which I enjoy the most: Fall for all the reasons you mention, or Spring for 'renewal'. BUT... The joy of Spring would be diminished if not for the harshness of Winter, and Fall would be less without the growing season (and heat!) of Summer. It's hard to deny that the level of of joy one is able to experience is, in part, a function of the level of sorrow they have had to experience. I have often thought that it would be boring to live in the tropics.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: