Stupid laws, rules & regulations

Started by Paul Hoskins, September 08, 2017, 03:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I once shot two caribou bulls side-by-side late in the evening and only had time to gut them and roll them over on their bellies before it was dark. When I returned the next morning, a young 3-year-old barren-ground grizzly was on them. Fortunately for him, he saw me before I saw him and high-tailed it. When I finally saw him, he was at least 400 yards off and headed 'out of Dodge'.

He hadn't been on the carcasses very long. What he chose to eat first, I found interesting. The velvet had been stripped from the antlers, and the brains eaten right out of the back of the skulls. This had been done to both bulls. I don't know which he did first, but I do know that he did that before moving on to what he chose next. He peeled the skin off of the rump, and scraped the large saddle of fat off of the meat using just his incisor teeth. I know he did this last, because he hadn't gotten to the rump fat on the second bull when I arrived. I didn't lose an ounce of meat to that bear.

Eating ANY brains spooks me these days because of the various virus' that can be contracted from eating central nervous system tissues like brains and spinal cord. Probably a non-issue for critters like squirrels, but it worries me enough that I don't need the 'delicacy'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Read the last sentence in the attached story...
http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Beached-whale-draws-a-crowd-in-Anchorage-as-scientists-look-for-clues-448108313.html

Paul

PS - I'll copy the last sentence here, but you can "verify" by opening the link.

QuoteAnd don't forget the bears that roam the Anchorage park, drawn to a smell that all the visitors are sure to remember: a stench that is something like old seafood, rotting meat, and sewage left in a dumpster inside a high school locker room.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I have found the black bears I have killed taste good. A lot of that is possibly due to the fact they've been baited mostly with sweets such as molasses & horse feed mixed, outdated sweet pastries from bakeries, block chocolate & natural mast like acorns, hazelnuts, beech nuts & berries they find on their own. Blueberry farmers in Maine despise bears for the most part. I find bears one of the most fascinating animals to watch I've ever  seen. Things they do amaze me sometimes.  ......Paul H

Tags: