new project

Started by sakorick, October 07, 2017, 07:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Since it's been raining for the last 3 days, I decided to tackle the Sako Finnbear I purchased like 6 months ago! It's a L62R '06 SN 30658 made in 1967 and Bofors steel marked. The stock was nice and the metal was like new, however, the butt pad had deteriorated into oblivion. It took me an hour to get the old pad off as Sako epoxied the pad onto the stock then screwed it on....what a mess! They even epoxied large washers onto the stock! I ordered a Old English black decelerator leather Pachmayr pad which should get here Tuesday or Wednesday. So I decided to strip it and refinish the stock as it looked like there was some nice figure under the 1000 layers of **** that Sako used back in the day. It had also been stained a very dark Walnut. Here is a before picture and a hint of what was under the finish. This one is going to be nice! It also gauges just under zero at the muzzle! My guess is that it's basically unfired.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

OK, the finish is off and I have pointed up the checkering on the front panels and masked them off. That's it for today.....I'll take a break and point up the grips tomorrow then it will be ready for the pad.

Paul Hoskins

Very nice, Rick. Good solid looking wood too. It'll be a beauty after your touch. .....Paul H

branxhunter

I'm looking forward to the big reveal on this one!

Marcus

sakorick

I've been busy and now at a work stoppage til the pad arrives. After approximately 4 hour sanding and 2 hours pointing up the checkering, I applied Minwax Special Walnut stain. I like this stain for it leaves a kind of golden glow once the finish is applied. Here are some pictures and I can't wait to get the pad installed and fitted because that's when the fun begins.......the oil!

gitano

Very nice, as usual.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Been at a work stoppage since Saturday.....Ordered a recoil pad from Brownells last Friday and the Post Office hasn't received it yet. Five days and it's still not in route....I could have driven up there in an hour and forty-five minutes!
:Banghead:

gitano

Where did the pictures go?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I messed up the pad and had to order another....work stoppage.

gitano

That wasn't what I was talking about. The last time I loaded this thread, there were NO pictures. None. Nada. Now, mysteriously, they are back.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Quote from: sakorick;149281I messed up the pad and had to order another....work stoppage.

Sounds lke something I'd do.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

OK....I have an update. The new pad is installed and I found out why the Finns covered up this mess of a stock. Worm holes, knots and other imperfection abound. They should have thrown this stock in the trash! I hand sanded all day today and my fingers are sore and few finger prints survived! I think the checkering is going to be fine but this wood is a real challenge. Tomorrow the first coat of true oil goes on which will tell the story..... happy or sad.

sakorick

Finally it's starting to come around. The final coats scheduled for Friday possibly...that may be a bit optimistic. I'm going to put a satin finish on this one.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

It's done, however, I still have some rebedding to do. I am at sea why the action seem to be humpy right around the recoil lug. I'll mess with it later this winter and figure it out. If Paul gets a deer, perhaps he can figure it out! Another set of eyes is in order! This is a 1967 Sako L81R that came unfired but neglected.

Tags: