The Latest on the AR-15 Platform

Started by gitano, October 15, 2017, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

The 'regulars' here will recall that I have been wrestling with how to get some sort of 'quiet' rifle cartridge or load to use around my 'yard'. After getting close with a couple, I decided to give in and just use a .30 caliber bullet (sigh), on a cartridge made for subsonic use, on a rifle made for 'adaptation': The .300 AAC Blackout on the AR-15 platform. BUT... My version is NOT semi-automatic. No gas operating system. Strictly one shot at a time. It can however, hold a magazine, and load from the magazine, although I don't use that method of operation.

When the first "80%" AR-15 receivers came on the market, I bought 5 of them. On Saturday last, I milled the fourth one to build this rifle dedicated to a specific use. That evening I assembled the parts to complete this rifle. I have to say, even if you start with a complete receiver, it is very cool to "sit on your couch" and assemble a fully functional rifle. For those that might be interested, here's a list of parts that can be had "over the counter" for assembling an AR-15:

1) Lower receiver: Right now, completely milled (but having no 'guts'), lower receivers can be had for about $60. You have to go through an FFL but $50 is pretty cheap. An 80% one costs about $45; no FFL, no transfer Fee, but you have to have the means to mill it. And NO, someone else can NOT do that for you. If they do, they have "manufactured a firearm" for SOMEONE ELSE. That's a legal "no-no".
2) "Lower parts kit": Complete kit is about $60.
3) Barrel: Can be had in .223 from MANY places WITH the "extension" and gas port drilled, for less than $80. (I paid $94 delivered to my door for the .300 AAC from Green Mountain - no gas port drilled.)
4) Gas block: $20
5) Gas tube: $10 (You'll need a roll pin - $2)
6) Handguard: These can get REALLY stupidly priced, but you can get a reasonable one for as low as $25 on Ebay.
7) Butt assembly: Here again, these can get STUPIDLY priced, but you can get a reasonable one for $50.
8) Bolt Carriage Group: AKA "BCG" - $100
9) Charging handle: $20 - you can look around and find them for less.
10) Ejection port cover assembly: $5 (I don't buy uppers that use these.)
Almost forgot the upper...
11) Upper receiver: Stripped - $50 easy. If you look around you can find them for $30. You can buy them "complete", but beware! The sons of bachelors call an upper WITHOUT A BCG "complete"!

So, the total (with a pre-milled lower) would be about - $482. You could scrounge around and pay a little less. Complete "kits" - WITHOUT LOWER RCVR - can be had for  $360, but they have the REALLY CRAPPY military forearm/handguard. You can NOT get the precision from the AR-15 that it is capable of with the milspec handguard. YOU CAN NOT.

Of course you can 'customize' 'til your heart's content. To me, the coolest part of the AR platform is being able to change barrels in about 2 minutes. If you change the case head size, you have to change the BCG too, but that actually adds less than a minute to the overall change.

The above sounds like I'm 'selling' ARs. Not really. More what I'm "selling" is the fun to be had by "sitting on your couch" and BUILDING A FULLY FUNCTIONAL RIFLE! To me, that is just too cool.

Oh yeah, there's a picture below. It's an ugly thing, that's for sure. Its only 'socially redeeming value' is the purpose for which it was built. And... there are alternatives. It's just that the alternatives are MUCH more difficult to actually get in your hands.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Socom Blue on that lower, jobs a good un...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

Spray paint the plastic John Deere green & the shiny stuff hanging out the bottom yellow. :greentongue:.......Paul H

recoil junky

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;149370Spray paint the plastic John Deere green & the shiny stuff hanging out the bottom yellow. :greentongue:.......Paul H

I second that. :yes:  :biggthumpup:  :army:  :cool:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Not sure I like that any better than the original ...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

That is, well.....sick. I would say, just not my cup of tea.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I'm not sure but seems like the 223 Rem. necked up to 338 caliber would make a nice subsonic cartridge. I think it would be a fairly straight walled cartridge much like the 32/40 but headspaced on the mouth of the case like the 30 carbine. Bullets are available in weights from 175 grains to 300 grains. The case should be long enough for the heaviest bullets & still have sufficient room for powder. Just a thought. ......Paul H

gitano

That cartridge was developed as the "Whisper" (one version of it) several years ago by SSK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Whisper

I fiddled with that one for a bit, but in the end, let it go for several reasons.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: