.25-45 Sharps - A New Cartridge for the AR-15 Platform

Started by gitano, December 01, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I just found today, a relatively new cartridge developed for the AR-15 platform: The .25-45 Sharps. It is the 45mm .223 case necked up to accept .257 caliber bullets.

In all honesty, there's no "good" reason to find yet ANOTHER round for the AR-15 platform, BUT... Being the inveterate wildcatter that I am, AND given that I really like the .25 caliber, this is something I am interested in.

Ammo manufacturer hype says it will launch an 87-grain .25 caliber bullet at 3000 f/s from I THINK a 16" barrel. That's "good"! No mods necessary to the AR upper except changing the barrel.

This cartridge is touted to be for those people that live in one of the 9 states that does not allow hunting big game with .223 caliber bullets, and therefore cannot hunt with their AR-15s. Not only is Alaska NOT one of those states, I have other calibers to shoot from my AR-15s - like the 300 Blackout - that doesn't necessitate yet another iteration of the AR-15 for me. HOWEVER, I have no intention of letting 'practicality' rain on my parade! That doesn't mean I WILL be putting a .25-45 Sharps barrel on one of my AR-15s, but I will if it comes 'easy'. ;)

Y'all might want to have a look on line - especially YouTube - at some of the info for this new cartridge. You can find the factory hype here: https://store.srcarms.com/product-p/25x45-87hc.htm

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I don't have an AR15 & don't really need or want one. I have no need for a 25 caliber & don't particularly like the caliber. The 25-06 I had on a Ruger #1  was a tack driver but I gave it away. I simply had no need for it. The 25/223 should make  an interesting little cartridge for those that like the AR15 & 25 calibers. It would make a sensible change with no alteration to the gun except changing barrels. .......Paul H

gitano

I find it curious that you don't care for the .25 caliber, Paul. I have always been drawn to it for some reason. It's just that much bigger 'thump' than the .243. I have a friend that bought (against my advice), a .243 for his son's first "caribou rifle". (I of course recommended what I always do for "first rifles" - .the 308 Win.) The first caribou hunt they went on, his son shot one "a bit far back". According to him, they chased it for over an hour, and it ultimately got away. Wounded. Of course, the real issue is "a bit far back", but when you shoot a big game animal "a bit far back", the bigger the bullet the better the chances of recovery. Who knows if a .25-06 would have resulted in a different outcome.

Anyway, I went looking at Green Mountain Barrels, and they don't have any barrels with twist rates faster than 1:10. That twist rate is "iffy" when it comes to gyroscopic stability for the 87-grain Ballistic Tip or Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip bullets. The "factory" barrel that Sharps (the ammo manufacturer) provides, has a 1:9 twist.  (And a $250 price tag.) Also, I can't get that 87-grain bullet much over 2800 f/s out of an 18" barrel using QuickLOAD UNLESS I run the max pressure right up TO THE MAX for the .223 case - 62,000+ PSI. I don't like running ARs at the SAAMI max. Beats the hell out of the actions.

Given the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 (plus their AI versions), I don't think this cartridge has any 'socially redeeming value' outside of the AR platform. I also think it MIGHT be a little finicky to load for since they are expecting you to load to max pressures to get the "factory" performance. Quite a bit of the 'shine' has come off this cartridge for me. If a 1:9 twist, .25 caliber barrel 'falls into my hands', I may make a barrel for an AR-15, but otherwise, I don't think I'll 'work' to get my hands on one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: