Disaster, but not Catastrophe

Started by gitano, December 11, 2017, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Last week or so, I ordered a Redding 'case forming die' to form .350 Remington Mag cases from any of the other "belted magnum" cases like .300 Win Mag, .7mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag, etc. I also bought some once-fired .300 Win Mag cases off of GunBroker. As I mentioned in another thread, 1) there is essentially no .350 Rem Mag cases AVAILABLE, and 2) for those one or two places that might have some, they are well over a dollar a piece. The forming die cost me something a little over $40, and the once-fired brass was about 50 cents a piece. So, once the pieces (die and brass) were in hand, I decided to make some .350 Rem Mag brass.

All went well enough. (I crushed two shoulders out of 20 before I developed the right 'touch'. The .300 Win Mag case is A LOT longer than the .350 Rem Mag case.) Once I had the new cases trimmed to length and chamfered, I dumped them in the polisher, turned it on, and 'went away' to let the polisher work for a couple of hours. When I returned to the the shop, I was met with the scene you see below.

What keeps this from being a 'catastrophe', is that while I have yet to sort through all of the damage, I THINK, nothing was broken. I'll know more later today. The cabinet simply pulled out of the wall. While it was screwed to studs, clearly there was just too much weight for those screws. You can bet I will be beefing up those anchor screws.

Self-inflicted of course. I simply put too much 'stuff' in and ON (the top) of the cabinet. It was, however, the largest cabinet. It is going to take me several days to get everything back to 'normal'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Well, that sucks. Have you considered putting it back up & putting post under it & adding shelves to the post for more storage space? Just a thought. ...Paul H

recoil junky

A two by two underneath and three inch deck screws should hold it up. I noticed the bullet shelf in my cabinet (3/4 CDX) is starting to sag a bit. I may have to do something to beef it up.

Hope nothing got busted.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Excellent idea, Paul! I think I will do that, AND do the same under my other cabinets. They all have lots of 'stuff' in and on them.

Three inch deck screws and fender washers are going back "in".

I haven't been able to get to everything to check for serious damage. The only things I can think of that could have been truly 'wrecked' were two Ohaus scales. One "Dial-O-Gram", and one "Dial-O-Grain". I will be very upset if either of those two items have been irreparably damaged.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I like Paul's post/posts idea with more shelves under and 4 inch screws with the fender washers.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

You can't imagine how difficult it was to get the below images posted here at THL today. Absolutely took no less than 3 hours. That is NO exaggeration!

Turns out that I do indeed have two Ohaus scales, but only one of them is a "Dial-O-***X". It is the Dial-O-Grain version. The other scale is just a typical triple beam. Both were damaged in "the fall": the Dial-O-Grain severely, but not beyond repair. Took me a couple of hours of careful grunting and groaning to get it right again. If you had another one right beside it, you could see a slight difference, but without one to compare it to, you could not tell it had been bent.

Here are "before" pictures of it.

This picture is of the head, looking at it from the head end.

This is looking at the scale from the top.

And this is looking at it from below.

After 'bending it back into shape', I put a 50-gram calibration weight on it to check to see if it still worked. 50 grams is 771.6179 grains. As you can see on the dial, I got 771.3 grains. That .3 grain error amounts to an error of 0.0003, or 0.03%. I can live with that. AND... I am not certain that the "calibration" weight that came with a little digital scale I bought from China is as accurate as 0.03%. I suspect it is not.

This is the 71.3 part of 771.3.

And this is the 'pointer' with the scale reading 771.3 grains.

The only damage to the triple-beam was a severely bent pan. It still weighs correctly. I have straightened the pan, but still have some more fiddling to do with that to erase the 'evidence'. So, the two items I was most concerned about are "fine". It doesn't appear that there are any other major issues, but there are still a few places I have to look.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nice save there, real shame it got beat up in the first place.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;149729Nice save there, real shame it got beat up in the first place.

No one to blame but myself.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: