Looking for BSA Bolt & assembly

Started by Poppi, December 01, 2017, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppi

Am trying to repair a BSA bolt action rifle with the barrel markings:  "BSA BNP 308 Winchester Model #38225      2.0 4.6.5 GR9NC150GR9 Bullet".   Rifle belonged to my US Army, WWII Vet father-in-law who served at Radon RAF Air Base, UK during WWII. Would like to repair and present to my brother-in-law, "Grizzly Adams' Twin".  The lugs are were sheared off the bolt assembly and would like to replace bolt & bolt assembly.  Would appreciate referral to gun parts dealer who can supply me the correct replacement.  Many thanks for any assistance, Poppi

sakorick

Quote from: Poppi;149607Am trying to repair a BSA bolt action rifle with the barrel markings:  "BSA BNP 308 Winchester Model #38225      2.0 4.6.5 GR9NC150GR9 Bullet".   Rifle belonged to my US Army, WWII Vet father-in-law who served at Radon RAF Air Base, UK during WWII. Would like to repair and present to my brother-in-law, "Grizzly Adams' Twin".  The lugs are were sheared off the bolt assembly and would like to replace bolt & bolt assembly.  Would appreciate referral to gun parts dealer who can supply me the correct replacement.  Many thanks for any assistance, Poppi

The bolt is a modified K98 WWII German bolt. Any 98 Mauser bolt body will work. How did the lugs get sheared off? Pictures??
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Poppi

Greetings sakorick,
Appreciate the rapid response.  Story goes: young family member takes rifle hunting, was out in rain, unprotected barrel, allowed water into barrel, fired weapon, you can imagine the rest.  He 'survived' the blowback, but, gave up the rifle which is at my gunsmith who has been unable to find/figure out proper replacement for bolt assembly.  No pix available, but gunsmith says rifle is, 'fine as a baby's butt'...  Any suggestions for reliable supplier of a good 98 Mauser bolt & body?
Thx,
Poppi

sakorick

If it busted the lugs, the action is toast. Any gunsmith that cannot recognize a Mauser action cannot be trusted. IMHO the entire works is ruined. Perhaps others may chime in.

Poppi

Greetings sakorick,
Appreciate your note.
Replacing the bolt assembly and receiver makes sense to me.  Is this your suggestion?
Thx,
Poppi

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

In all honesty, the rifle needs to be replaced. The barrel is likely bulged, the action and bolt are unserviceable and it likely has stock damage. I would replace it with a .308 BSA which pop up from time to time on Gun Broker.

Poppi

Greetings sakorick,
Agree with your assessment...
Many thx,
Poppi

gitano

Well... Those are a lot of assumptions.

Let me make an assumption that seems more plausible to me: The "story" about sheared lugs is not correct.

I have NEVER seen, heard, or read about a Mauser action shearing bolt lugs OFF. The receiver ALWAYS gives way BEFORE the bolt lugs give. In fact, I do NOT BELIEVE that the bolt lugs CAN be sheared off before the action comes apart. In fact, Ackley TRIED to blow one up, AND COULDN'T. Furthermore, plugged muzzles DO NOT lead to sheared bolt lugs, they lead to "banana peel" barrels. I suspect the action was "de-milled" by removing the bolt lugs by someone that didn't understand de-milling' very well.

If my assumption is closer to reality, it makes the "gunsmith's" assessment of the action's condition reasonable. I believe even a "garage gunsmith" could tell if a receiver was bent or a barrel bulged, ESPECIALLY after being told the "plugged barrel" story. The smith's assessment is the second part that doesn't "make sense".

SO...
Let me assume, (until there is more information), that the 'smith was correct in his assessment of the condition of the receiver and barrel. Replacing the bolt on that rifle is a fairly trivial matter. Here are a couple of places to start:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Mauser-Custom-Bolt-with-FN-style-handle/132413041926?hash=item1ed46ead06:g:EvUAAOSwnTdaGxdo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-Model-98-Bolt-Straight-Handle-Stripped-Used/122791328070?hash=item1c96eef946:g:f3MAAOSwXYtYv1RY

And some of the 'guts':
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-98-firing-pin-and-spring-std-length-action-bolt-new-old-stock/192368198397?hash=item2cca09c2fd:g:CfMAAOSwX3FaFgmF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Mauser-98-98K-M98-Bolt-Stop-Cover-Assembly-w-Screw/263309596334?hash=item3d4e7996ae:g:FFIAAOSwMYxaAuld

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-98-large-ring-extractor-Surplus-take-off/282755598538?hash=item41d58c08ca:g:eOcAAOSwk-1Z-Oa8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-98K-Mag-Extractor-Collar-PAR-MAU037/312002388487?hash=item48a4caa207:g:P8sAAOSwZB9aCgQF

And so on.

My recommendation is to get a 'second opinion' from a bona fide gunsmith and DO NOT TELL HIM the "plugged barrel" story. If he assesses the condition of the receiver and barrel the same as the previous gunsmith, then proceed with getting a new bolt and don't look back.

Paul

PS - Here's a complete bolt. No need to find 'guts': https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-MAUSER-K98-98-BOLT-Waffen-eagle-marked-MUST-SEE-matching/352166284229?hash=item51febf0bc5:g:Db4AAOSwqYhZvDiE

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

By the way, the "secondary" lug would ALSO have to be sheared off. Is it?

In considering the "secondary lug" issue, another question is brought to mind: Do you actually have the "sheared lugs" bolt IN YOUR HANDS, or is that just the story that goes with a missing bolt?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I agree with Paul that we just don't have solid information on the problem. I have never heard of bolt lugs failing either. What we really need are pictures of the rifle and the bolt. The 2d issue is that BSA did not use K98 bolts! They designed their own. The shroud, extractor are both completely different. Here are pics of my BSA 30-'06.

gitano

So getting a "factory" bolt will certainly be more difficult. Poppi might try UK firearms forums like The Stalking Directory. Again, I would leave the "sheared lugs" part of the story out of the narrative until I found someone with a bolt.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Here is my Monarch Deluxe (we think). BSA made some very high quality sporters. According to BH's proof house codes this one was born in 1972. I't's chambered in  30-'06. Rosewood tips, skip line checkering, nice wood.....what's not to like?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;149631So getting a "factory" bolt will certainly be more difficult. Poppi might try UK firearms forums like The Stalking Directory. Again, I would leave the "sheared lugs" part of the story out of the narrative until I found someone with a bolt.

Paul

Very unlikely to find anything privately for sale there, only recourse would be a dealer (RFD) in the UK.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Poppi

'06 in blond/rosewood is a beauty!
thx for sharing great pix!

Tags: