Bird day

Started by sakorick, April 17, 2018, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I drove around and got some great shots.....too bad I missed the Tree Swallow and Bluebird fight. By the time I grabbed my camera it was over. I going to move the N bird house about 6 to 8 feet from the other bluebird box. Then the Bluebirds can have one nest and the Tree Swallows the other. I know this sounds crazy but the experts can explain why here: http://www.treeswallowprojects.com/tresvsbb.html My favorite is the owl....if you talk to them softly and walk slowly it's amazing how close they will let you come....this guy never flinched. I didn't take any pictures of the commoners.

In order 1. Male Tree Swallow. 2. Female Phoebe. 3. Male Bluebird. 4. Ferruginous Hawk. 5. Barred Owl that looks spotted to me but it would make him in Rare territory here. 6. My friend the dark phase Red Tailed Hawk.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Very cool stuff!

You are very blessed there at the Scruggs Farm!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good pictures, Rick. Bluebirds & tree swallows just don't get along at all. My BB's try to take over the tree swallow house but it's a losing battle. My BB house is around 50 feet from the tree swallow house. BB's & tree swallows don't eat the same insects. BB's eat ground dwelling insects but swallows catch almost all their food on the wing. That's why they have forward facing eyes like most birds of prey. .......Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;150585Good pictures, Rick. Bluebirds & tree swallows just don't get along at all. My BB's try to take over the tree swallow house but it's a losing battle. My BB house is around 50 feet from the tree swallow house. BB's & tree swallows don't eat the same insects. BB's eat ground dwelling insects but swallows catch almost all their food on the wing. That's why they have forward facing eyes like most birds of prey. .......Paul H

Paul, you need to read this.  http://www.treeswallowprojects.com/tresvsbb.html the bluebirds and tree swallows can coexist!

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I know the two species can co exist. They're doing it in my back yard now as they have for years. They just don't get along together very well. The BB's try to take over. I like both birds but prefer the swallows. They eat LOTS of mosquitoes. BB's eat mostly ground dwelling insects. I'm happy to get rid of any insects that are a nuisance. I can deal with ground dwelling insects myself. The tree swallows  deal with the ones I can't. I never put much stock in what any "expert" says but I believe my eyes even tho they're getting dim.   .......Paul H

sakorick

Several Tree Swallows have been catching a hatch over the pond below the house all morning. Must be flies or mosquitoes. I have never had them before but they are very welcome here and man are they great aerialists!

Hunterbug

Great pictures, Rick.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: