Serial Numbers missing

Started by sakorick, May 15, 2018, 05:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

There is a guy on GB right now selling what he claims in a "lunchbox" 1911 Remington Rand. I emailed him and told him he was selling an illegal pistol and he has not responded. Here is what I know and reading between the lines of the ATF regs. "Lunchbox" guns were smuggled out of the assembly line prior to the process of marking them. I have also heard of a guy who worked for Colt that smuggled all the bits of a 1911 one at a time but was caught when he tried getting the frame out of the facility. In other words it ain't easy to steal a firearm. So what is a "Lunchbox gun? Let's say Grandpa slipped his 1911 or M1 Carbine in his duffel bag. Then later in life realized that he couldn't sell it so had his gunsmith scrub the US property and serial number stamps off the pistol and refinished it. That's what happened to the pistol on GB....it's clearly been refinished. So when you sell the piece, it has to go through the process and at the end of the day the ATF sees no serial number on the transfer document. So now here's what's likely to happen:
First, the Gun Control Act of 1968 is not the issue here at all. All firearms that were serial numberd by the manufacturer regardless of date are at risk. Colt for instance serial numbered every firearm it ever made!
Let's say you buy a gun of a model normally serial numbered but without one.
Let's say it comes to the notice of the feds.
They run it through the lab and raise a deleted number.
They believe that you swallowed some story about a "lunchbox gun" or a Secret Squirrel "sterile" gun.
If it has any markings at all, it can’t be a “lunchbox” gun.
They still take it off for the office collection and prosecute the gunsmith/seller. You are out the purchase price at least.

So unless you just like to talk to ATF agents, I say leave them alone! They are not rare and you run the risk of prosecution and loss of $$. Comments welcome.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: