Cheapo Gun

Started by sakorick, June 05, 2018, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Eat your heart out Pat. I bought a sporterized M95 Chileno for $135! It's all matching and cycles smooth as glass. So, now I need a barrel. What about a caliber? 6.5 Creedmore? Please help me!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

PLEASE NO!!! Not a :cens: 6.5 Creedmoor!!!

:end:

:Banghead:

Something sensible, like a 6.5 Swede or 260 Rem . . . . . . . . .

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

What about a 7MM Mauser?

Jamie.270

When I bought my Bubba'd M98 for $125, I rebarrelled/rechambered it for 6.5x57AI.
Peach of a round.  Reload data is kinda hard to come by, but it works once it's dialed in.

If I had it to do over though, it would either be the Swede or the .260Rem.
There's just not enough difference to make it worth the trouble.
Don't succumb to the paper-whippin and stick with the practical side.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I have one of those around here somewhere. It's also sporterized & has sporting open sights. It's a 7x57 with a decent looking bore. Had it for years & never shot it. I'm with RJ on what to re barrel it to. A Douglas # 4barrel in 260 Rem, makes sense. ......... Paul H

sakorick

I would much rather have it in 7MM Mauser than 260 Rem. That's what it was originally built for and I have the dies, gobs of brass and a book load of recipes.

I just went to look for a Adams and Bennett 7x57 barrel and it seems like they have gone out of business. I'll try ER Shaw.

I just called er Shaw and they said 8 weeks and $210. Why is life so hard??

Paul Hoskins

Rick. prices on barrels have become obscene compared to the 1950's '60's & early 70's. I used to buy new barrels from Flaig's in Millvale, Pa. for $32.50, turned, ground, short chambered, cut & crowned & threaded for Mausers. Flaig's always touted their barrels were made by Douglas & premium grade. I used  to buy new surplus '03 Springfield barrels from Numrich Arms in West Hurley, NY for six dollars each. I always bought them six at a time. Used them for lots of things. Made pretty good short pry bars too if needed. Bought six 17 caliber unturned barrel blanks from Ackley for less than 125 dollars. He re bored & CUT rifling in one barrel for me. Cost??? Eight dollars shipping back to me. Super nice guy. I really miss him. All my old friends are gone now. Sad.  ......Paul H

recoil junky

My new toy (which I will post about in the near future)  has a Douglas (26" stainless magnum contour) on it. Seems it was in the $300 neighborhood?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;150957Rick. prices on barrels have become obscene compared to the 1950's '60's & early 70's. I used to buy new barrels from Flaig's in Millvale, Pa. for $32.50, turned, ground, short chambered, cut & crowned & threaded for Mausers. Flaig's always touted their barrels were made by Douglas & premium grade. I used  to buy new surplus '03 Springfield barrels from Numrich Arms in West Hurley, NY for six dollars each. I always bought them six at a time. Used them for lots of things. Made pretty good short pry bars too if needed. Bought six 17 caliber unturned barrel blanks from Ackley for less than 125 dollars. He re bored & CUT rifling in one barrel for me. Cost??? Eight dollars shipping back to me. Super nice guy. I really miss him. All my old friends are gone now. Sad.  ......Paul H

A kindred spirit...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

Nice pick up, Rick. I like the idea of a 7X57 or a 6.5X55.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: