Paper patched

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), June 26, 2018, 03:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I have never heard of paper patching?? The bullets I use require no patch as they sit in a plastic cup.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Recently in the discussion of the voodoo and black-magic associated with lube and alloy for cast bullets I said that those two subjects - lube and alloy recipes - were the two subjects with the greatest voodoo attached. Next in line in my experience is paper-patched bullets. The reason for all the voodoo is that both lube and alloy recipes are ADDED to the paper-patched "equation". The voodoo is three times as prevalent.

I would point out Rick, that these are NOT muzzleloaders. I assume when you said, "The bullets I use require no patch as they sit in a plastic cup" you were referring to your sabot'd ML bullets. Paper-patched bullets are used in cartridges.

A lot of the 'stuff' associated with black powder shooting reminds me of fly fishing. It seems that the intent is to make something that starts out relatively challenging (fishing), as much MORE DIFFICULT as possible. I have often said, "Why not just tie a rock on the end of your flyline. THEN you will be CERTAIN not to catch a fish. That seems to be your goal." The same seems appropriate for much of black powder shooting. Hunting is already difficult enough. Why don't you just shoot blanks. Then you can be CERTAIN of never hitting ANYTHING!

Of course I exaggerate, but the a cold objective view has to be asking "Why are you making "success" MORE difficult to achieve?" The answer, (that MOST BP shooters don't really understand), is that HUNTING is actually no longer the goal. "Fiddling" has become the goal.

OK. I also appreciate that I too am becoming the same "old fuddy-duddy" to the younger generation in my desire to use "walnut and blued steel", and NOT to use scopes with automatic range-finders built in that adjust the reticle in real-time as I look through the scope at an elk 1000 yards off. By refusing to use that "new stuff", aren't I just as "bad" as those that want to use black powder and cast bullets or silly, grossly inefficient fishing gear? Maybe so. It can certainly be argued that Hunting with walnut and blue steel, CHANGED from Hunting with BP and muzzle-loaders. In my opinion, Hunting, (that would be Hunting with a capital "H"), with VERY few exceptions, passed from the human experience about 30 years ago. But then, I AM just an old fuddy-duddy.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Well, that makes me an older fuddy-duddy than you. Give me blued steel, a Black Walnut stock and a pound of 4064 and get out of my way!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

I've never used paper patched bullets in my life. That went out 100 years ago & never proved anything in my book. I can think of dozens of things to waste time on that's more interesting & less time consuming but just as useless. .......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bugger, and there was me thinking the op slo-mo vid was cool...
Turvey Stalking

JaDub

Give me blued steel, a Black Walnut stock and a pound of 4064 and get out of my way!

A Men , brother!!

gitano

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;151064Bugger, and there was me thinking the op slo-mo vid was cool...

That'll larn ya!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: