Drought

Started by sakorick, July 16, 2018, 02:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Linn County Missouri is now classified as in a extreme drought as of July 10th. We are now sitting on 11.5 inches of precipitation for the year(normal is around 22 inches). The corn is really taking a beating and the beans are not setting pods. The forecast is for a good chance or rain on Thursday but nobody trusts the weatherman anymore. In the past 3 weeks we have had 3 tenths of rain, the ponds are all 2 feet low, and my Humming Birds are going through a cup and 1/2 of sugar every 2 days. There are essentially no flowers blooming in my 16 acres of CRP or anywhere else around here. The average temperatures for this period have been very high and the bare average soil temperature is now in the low 90's. We could sure use some rain!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

It's been hot and dry here too. We finally got some rain yesterday but not a lot, maybe 1/8". In the mountains they are under an extreme fire ban. No fires at all, not even in campgrounds. And then we get idiots like this not helping.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/wildfires/suspects-in-lake-christine-fire-now-in-custody/73-574086165
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Paul Hoskins

Been hot & dry here for some time now. It just started raining about 5 minutes ago but very light rain. Most likely won't do any good. My garden beans produced less than half what they did last year. The corn fodder blades roll up in the heat. Between coons & dry weather it most likely won't produce anything. Tomato vines are dying from lack of water. Granny was out in the yard snacking on corn when it started raining & ran down to the vacant lot to check on her babies in the weeds & came back to finish her meal. The babies haven't seen rain before. ......Paul H

sakorick

It's tough watching a $15,000 bean crop go up in smoke.

branxhunter

It's been pretty dry in eastern Australia as well

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/#tabs=Rainfall-tracker

Here is SW Victoria we have had some reasonable rains and things aren't looking to bad.

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;151196It's been pretty dry in eastern Australia as well

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/#tabs=Rainfall-tracker

Here is SW Victoria we have had some reasonable rains and things aren't looking to bad.

Marcus

If I were a world traveler, I would head for Port Lincoln for some fishing and fish eating. I suppose I could fly into Adelaide and rent a car. Driving on the wrong side of the road would be a problem for me!

gitano

Tough sledding for all.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Quote from: sakorick;151198If I were a world traveler, I would head for Port Lincoln for some fishing and fish eating. I suppose I could fly into Adelaide and rent a car. Driving on the wrong side of the road would be a problem for me!

I think you would be fine Rick, particularly once you got out of Adelaide - the roads become reasonably quiet then.

To get to Port Lincoln you have to drive up around the top of the gulf and back down the western side; I am sure there are daily domestic flights from Adelaide to Port Lincoln and you could hire a car there.

I had my best squid fishing experiences in and around Port Lincoln while on my driving trip across to Perth (and then up to Darwin, and back again) in the late 90's.

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;151200I think you would be fine Rick, particularly once you got out of Adelaide - the roads become reasonably quiet then.

To get to Port Lincoln you have to drive up around the top of the gulf and back down the western side; I am sure there are daily domestic flights from Adelaide to Port Lincoln and you could hire a car there.

I had my best squid fishing experiences in and around Port Lincoln while on my driving trip across to Perth (and then up to Darwin, and back again) in the late 90's.

Marcus

Depending on the time of year you can catch Salmon and Tuna out of Port Lincoln. Getting 50 pounds back from Alaska is easy but getting 50 pounds of Tuna back from Aus probably not doable.:p

Tags: