Yoo-hoo Aussies....

Started by gitano, August 05, 2018, 02:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Any of you recognize this plant? (I suspect Marcus' wife will know it instantly.) I bought some seeds from Australia last year, and germinated some of them this spring. These are one of the species that germinated. Whether they will flower or not is up for speculation. The summer is essentially over here. In less than a month, we'll have frost overnight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Beats me. Don't know anything about Australian plants but it looks a lot like common American pursley except the stems aren't red. .......Paul H

gitano

Those plants are Swainsona formosa also called "Desert Pea". https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVFA_enUS760US760&tbm=isch&q=swainsona+formosa&chips=q:swainsona+formosa,online_chips:desert+pea&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_2fue7OLcAhWDJDQIHbMdBm0Q4lYIKCgA&biw=1536&bih=734&dpr=1.25
I have my doubts that they are going to flower this year, and they are not likely to overwinter. Might be one of those plants that simply doesn't get enough degree days to produce fruit (flowers). Too bad. Very pretty flowers!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

I think they are going to need warmer weather. May need to put them in a greenhouse.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

They have grown significantly since that picture in the original post, but no sign of blossoms.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Looking at the picture I would have guessed some sort of native legume. The desert pea is very beautiful, hopefully you might be able to get some flowers.

Marcus

gitano

Well, while I don't have flowers, I do have buds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will actually bloom!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

gitano

I really don't like 'spitting into the wind' when it comes to 'nature', but since I LOVE growing things, AND I live in the high northern latitudes, sometimes I 'feel the need'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Not the stark red and black of the internet photo, but I'm not complaining.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

They seem to be darkening with age...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here are the latest pictures of what I think are fully developed flowers. I really like the radial symmetry of the flower heads, and how they look both from above and from the side. I don't think the dark spots are going to get darker.

I would love to see these blooming in their natural habitat.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Tags: