Backpacking and fishing

Started by Hunterbug, August 14, 2018, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Last week the girls and I got out for a 3 day backpacking trip. We camped up the Roaring River in Rocky Mountain National Park. The map said that our camp was 2.4 miles from the trail head. My GPS says that's a lie. It was 3 miles. On Sunday, Payton and I hiked in and set up camp. Then we hiked back out to meet Hunter. After dinner we went to bed. On Monday we hiked into Lawn Lake for lunch and some fishing. We had one pesky Golden Mangled Ground Squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis) for Paul, that kept hanging around. While we were fishing Hunter and I heard Payton yell "NO!" and go running off. In front of her ran the little pest with our roll of TP in his mouth. Then he kept going under the back pack. When I moved it, I found a pile of crasins from Hunter's trail mix. The pocket was open a few inches and he had chewed a hole in the bag. He only took the nuts and the M&Ms. Finally the wind kicked up and we headed back to camp. On our way back down Payton commented on how she had never seen a bear up there. An hour later in camp while I'm getting the stove started, a black bear walks 30 yards away. We didn't get any pictures as we were busy making noise so he would go away. Tuesday morning we ate breakfast and fished a little before heading out. It only took us a little over an hour to get out.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Some of Payton's mushroom pictures.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Lunch and our guest at the lake.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Fish pictures.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

More fish pics.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Hunter with some fish.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

HB, really nice seeing the girls getting out & enjoying the wild with you. Difficult believing how they've grown. Can't keep that from happening. Seems like they were just little tykes last week. Thanks for sharing a bit of your best years with us. ......Paul H

sakorick

Nice "Cuts" and a great adventure. Next time you are up that way try Upper Coney. It's a long walk but has some really big Cutthroats! The trail head is west of Allen's Park with Buchannon Pass to the North. Take some 14&16 Peacock Greys, Yellow Body Greys and Royal Coachmen. You can play with the Pika too!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Quote from: Paul HoskinsHB, really nice seeing the girls getting out & enjoying the wild with you. Difficult believing how they've grown. Can't keep that from happening. Seems like they were just little tykes last week. Thanks for sharing a bit of your best years with us. ......Paul H

Thanx. It seems that just yesterday they were starting kindergarten and today Payton starts high school. :end: The wife and I joke that in 4 years it will be just us and the dog. We won't know what to do with ourselves.

Rick, I'll have to look into that. One thing that I learned from this trip is that I need to get my fly tying kit out and get on it. There were a few holes on my fly box that need to be filled.

Niccolo Machiavelli

branxhunter

Great photos HB. Fantastic that you and your girls can get out and enjoy the outdoors together.

Marcus

JaDub

Nice trip and  photos Pat.  Nice to  get out with the kids..... AND get slimed.

Just think,  tomorrow you`ll have grand children !!   ;)

Tags: