Knife for Friend

Started by gitano, November 08, 2018, 12:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

There is a fellow at the local US Post Office that is a "friend". He is always cheerful, helpful, and courteous. One day when I was sending some knife handle stuff to jaeger88 and j0e_bl0ggs, he asked me if I "did that stuff". I asked "what stuff?". He said "Make knives and stuff." I said "Yes. Why do you ask?" He asked me if I wanted a box full of "knife handle stuff". I said "Yes." :D Shortening the story, he gave me a large box full of caribou antler and sheep horn that he had had for a long time, "intending to do something with, but never got around to". In exchange, I promised to make a knife for him. I just finished the knife today.

Here's the left side of it.

And here's the right.

Caribou antler scales.

I like the blade, and the kit comes with a nice sheath. Unfortunately, the sheath won't fit on any handles except VERY skinny ones. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-drop-point-skinner-knife-kit-w-black-leather-sheath and I don't like knives with skinny handles.

Anyway, I'm happy with this. The little bright spots you can see at the bottom edge of the finger grooves are invisible to all but the camera. I'm going to get at least one more of these kits, and make some more gifts. I intend to make a knife for myself too, (in spite of the fact that I REALLY don't need ANOTHER "hunting" knife), but I probably won't use this blade for the knife for myself BECAUSE "I don't need another hunting knife". BUT... I don't have a knife with dall sheep scales.

Paul

PS - I promised Mike this knife this week. That's why the Colorado deer hunt thread is still "pending".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Nice nice nice! We used Jaeger's knife on Eric's bow buck and it still has a perfect edge. Homemade is always better than Chinese junk!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

REALLY NICE. Plain & simple design. That's the way I like knives & guns. Looks sturdy enough for any job. .......Paul H

Nelsdou

Fine looking blade, impressed!
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Thanks, guys.

I've made ulus and other knives from circular saw blades before. Next up is a knife from a file and one from a railroad spike. First I need to make a forge. None of this happening until after Christmas. I have two BIG wood-working projects to finish before the 13th of December. I am not optimistic that I will be able to complete both on time. :sweatdrop: :help: :eek:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I had my wife take the knife to my friend on her way to school. (She's coaching cross-country skiing.) And the fellow wasn't there. When I took the knife back from her I saw some 'imperfections' that, the more I looked at them, the less I could stand it. So I 'tweaked' it a bit. I doubt if "you" can see any differences, but I certainly can. Anyway, I took the knife to my friend yesterday, and he really liked it. (Of course I'm sure he wouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't, but I think he did genuinely like it.) Here are pictures after 'tweaking'. More "for the record" than anything else.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I had my wife take the knife to my friend on her way to school, (she's coaching cross-country skiing), and the fellow wasn't there. When I took the knife back from her I saw some 'imperfections' that, the more I looked at them, the less I could stand it. So I 'tweaked' it a bit. I doubt if "you" can see any differences, but I certainly can. Anyway, I took the knife to my friend yesterday, and he really liked it. (Of course I'm sure he wouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't, but I think he did genuinely like it.) Here are pictures after 'tweaking'. More "for the record" than anything else.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nice job!
Prolly wouldn't make a knife from a file, chisel / scraper yeah but not a knife.
Dunno about railroad spike, don't see any over here!
What you should think about is a leaf spring from a vehicle.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

jOe, I'm with you on the file for a knife but I don't think I would go with the leaf spring either. They're usually made from SAE 1095 steel & I could never get them to  hold an edge very well. Files are mild steel for the most part & hardened all the way thru. It's very difficult to temper them properly for a knife. ......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Paul, I have reasonable success with leaf springs in keeping an edje, prolly was lucky with the old springs I used! As to file, totally agree.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I have heated and flattened roller bearings for making knifes, will not play at that again, really need a forge to work that steel (d2, m2). But you should have gauge plate over there o1 w1 etc pre ground thickness plate you need to profile and shape relatively easy to heat treat. In fact blade steel is available as rectangular blank. Cryo treating will be tough at home - saying that you live in Alaska - leave it out on the doorstep...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

One of the best knives I have ever owned was made by the Montagnards of Viet Nam using a Jeep leaf spring. I have leaf springs in hand, and when I get the above-mentioned forge made I'll start on the knife blades. You can see knives made from RR spikes and files on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1Jo7NAhl4 (RR spike)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdEQUKrUBdU (File)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wu2ryYTWRM (File)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L4wnXz_JYI (RR spike)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FeuuoLQLA (leaf spring)
Just to get you started...

Once annealed and tempered, I think the file will make a reasonable knife blade. With "think" being the operative word. (If anyone wants RR spike(s) for knife-making, let me know. I have a bunch of them.)

I have a great book, (Atmospheric Forge and Heat Treat Oven by William T. Goodman, and Robert W. Holmes. David Gingery Publishing, LLC.), on making a forge that supposedly goes from ambient to 2500 F in less than 2.5 minutes. I'm not sure I need a forge of the quality described in that book, but the plans are quite good, so I may just try it.

Not 'til after Christmas!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

jOe, we have both O-1 & W-1 tool steel here. I have made many gun parts from both. Especially hammers & triggers & breech block links for SS rifles. Relatively easy to machine & heat treat. I don't like making anything from bearing steel. (5200) According to the US Bureau of Standards in Washington, DC (1957) cyrogenically treating does nothing to enhance the condition of steel.   .......Paul H

Tags: