Sako L461 .20-222

Started by branxhunter, October 06, 2017, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

I have had a .20-222 built on a Sako L461 action using a Pac-Nor 26" stainless barrel with a 1-in-11" twist. Originally I just dropped it into the old beaten up Sako factory varmint stock for load development, but in the background I ordered a machined stock from Hatchers Rifle Stocks in the 'English Classic Varmint' style. The Hatcher stocks are semi finished and require final fitting, shaping and a surface finish applied. I used Organoil with a wet sanding finish for this one.

Once I had around 20 coats of Organoil on it I sent it away to get pillar bedded. The LGS rang me yesterday to say it had come back from the gunsmith so on my way home from work I dropped by and picked it up. I re-mounted the scope and headed out to my range to re-zero it.

After the first shot to zero (was ~2" further to the right) these were the next three shots:

I'm very happy with how it has come together.

Marcus

sakorick

Nice scope! Nice Gun! Don't burn up that barrel!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Very nice!!!

What grain bullet?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

branxhunter

Quote from: recoil junky;149207Very nice!!!

What grain bullet?

RJ

That's a 32gn z-max over 24.1gn of ADI BM1

Marcus

Paul Hoskins

Really nice looking gun, branxhunter. I just never cared for bolt guns much. I do like sub caliber cartridges. I find it rather odd that they all seem to be very accurate & consistent. I only have one .20 caliber rifle & from what little shooting I have done with it, it appears to be about as accurate as the 17's I have. I made it up on a NEF break action with a Douglas barrel with a 10 inch twist. I have another Douglas barrel I plan on putting on a Ruger #1 action some day if I'm around long enough. It also has a 10 inch twist. The NEF break action is chambered for the Ruger 204 as will the other gun in the works. The L461 Sako actions are really nice little actions.  ......Paul H

gitano

REALLY NICE! The bunnies are in even more danger than ever!

As a general rule, I'm not to taken by "bench guns", but that's a real sweetheart! And it shoots like... all the rest of your rifles. :D

Be sure to show us some pictures of bunnies and foxes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So, Marcus.... Any dead bunnies or foxes?

Still can't get over what a pretty gun that is!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

The .20-222 has been doing what it does best.

[ATTACH]15485[/ATTACH]

Marcus

branxhunter

[ATTACH]15486[/ATTACH]

branxhunter

[ATTACH]15487[/ATTACH]

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Always good to reduce the fox population.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: