Wood Butchers

Started by sakorick, January 03, 2019, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

John helped me gather wood early this morning. He has somewhere around 50 mature White Oaks that were killed 4 years ago in an edge feathering project. This is the wood from one of the trees. We took turns loading his tractor bucket and running the Stihl. We figure somewhere around a ton of wood gathered split and stacked at my place. The tractor and loader saved very much labor. My heart got a great cardio workout. The wood is sensational, total time from start to finish 2:30 .....not bad for a month's + heat!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

I like white oak for for fire wood but prefer black locust or  Osage orange. (hedgeapple) They don't produce the BTU's of many softer woods but last longer. They're good for nothing else except fence post. A black locust tree 40 feet tall is actually 80 feet. The other half is underground. :frown I thought you were having snow out there. Rick. .....Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;152225I like white oak for for fire wood but prefer black locust or  Osage orange. (hedgeapple) They don't produce the BTU's of many softer woods but last longer. They're good for nothing else except fence post. A black locust tree 40 feet tall is actually 80 feet. The other half is underground. :frown I thought you were having snow out there. Rick. .....Paul H

We had snow then the warm WX hit,..... 50 degrees today and the snow's all gone.

Jamie.270

Warm is good.
"Woodstove warm" is even better.

Nice load of oak Rick.  My offset smoker is jealous.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;152227Warm is good.
"Woodstove warm" is even better.

Nice load of oak Rick.  My offset smoker is jealous.

I would like to see some pictures of it when you get a chance. My Weber Smokey Mountain is great but not for big quantities.

Jamie.270

It's one of the original New Braunfels from the early '90s.  The newer ones since NB was bought by Charbroil aren't built near as heavy.
It will take a good sized chunk of meat and even a spatchcocked turkey.

It looks just like this:
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

sakorick

Now that's a good looking rig. I'm thinking of building one with a beer keg!

Jamie.270

If you can incorporate that you'll have one big advantage.
Kegs are stainless.  The difference in appearance between the one in the picture and mine, is the rust.
It was a constant battle for a few years, until I just gave up.  The rust is only in/on the firebox and on the outside of the cook chamber, so the food is never exposed to it.
But it is unsightly to some.

If you decide to, post some pics!

Tags: