Need help with this one

Started by sakorick, December 27, 2018, 05:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Could this be a Yellow Throated Vireo? There was a pair eating out of my worm basket then this one moved to the seeds. It was still pretty dark and I need a better picture....perhaps they will hang around for awhile?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I can't tell much from the picture but it doesn't look like a vireo to me. Wrong silouette. It has the profile of a house finch or redpoll. I never heard of vireo's eating seeds. It is possible they will.   .......Paul H

sakorick

He or she is eating a dried meal worm in the picture. Haven't seen them since early this morning. Has a forked tail for sure!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Still only a sillouette to my old eyes. I'll try attaching a picture of a yellow throat. They look much like a female goldfinch or male in winter plumage. Actually it's difficult to tell them apart in winter. ......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I highly suspect the bird in your pictures is an American goldfinch. I wouldn't expect a yellow throated Vireo to be around in winter but  goldfinches are. I don't  think vireo's have a notched tail but goldfinches do. Goldfinches don't migrate in winter. Goldfinches nest in late summer so they can feed the young on thistle seeds. I despise them. I'll try to attach a picture of a goldfinch in winter plumage. ......Paul H

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: