Sako AIII

Started by sakorick, January 07, 2019, 02:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The last of the breed. I found a real nice AIII in 7MM Rem Mag and snapped it up for $825. It came with the original box end, hang tag and High scope mounts. The rifle is very minty and the bolt face like new. The rifle is not marked Finnbear , however, the hang tag is.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

JaDub

Nice, Rick !!

I don't know much about the Sakos other than they are VERY nice.  I have a L61R FinnBear in 7mm that I picked up at auction. It came with a 4x-12x Burris. What`s the difference / dates  etc from your AIII  ?  My 61R looks identical to yours with the exception of  very minor/ insignificant checkering pattern.  I`m still in the process of working up loads for it.  I did find that it is a bit sensitive to case length.... ie sometimes a bit tight to close the bolt.  R.J. suggested triming my die a thou or two. It might be a bit sensitive to the  various cases I`m using.

All in all,  schweet find  Rick !!   let us know how she groups.

JaDub

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;152243Nice, Rick !!

I don't know much about the Sakos other than they are VERY nice.  I have a 61R FinnBear in 7mm that I picked up at auction. It came with a 4x-12x Burris. What`s the difference / dates  etc from your AIII  ?  My 61R looks identical to yours with the exception of  very minor/ insignificant checkering pattern.  I`m still in the process of working up loads for it.  I did find that it is a bit sensitive to case length.... ie sometimes a bit tight to close the bolt.  R.J. suggested triming my die a thou or two. It might be a bit sensitive to the  various cases I`m using.

All in all,  schweet find  Rick !!   let us know how she groups.

JaDub

What's the SN? I can tell you all about it as I have a copy of all the known hang tags. I think Paul posted them here someplace. I'll be shooting if the weather permits.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

Really nice, Rick. I always liked the fit & finish on Sako rifles. Not like a lot of machine made American guns. :(.....Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;152246Really nice, Rick. I always liked the fit & finish on Sako rifles. Not like a lot of machine made American guns. :(.....Paul H

From the mid 50's until 1982 I agree. Then in 1982 the evil empire took over and all the beauty and workmanship went in the Dumpster. Once an outfit like Beretta takes over it becomes a automated operation. Beretta's companies offer a vast range of products, with optic devices representing an increasingly important component. Current companies owned by Beretta Holdings include: Beretta, Benelli, Burris, Franchi, Meccanica Del Sarca, Sako, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti Replicas and now Steiner. Think about it, Burris owns Steiner .... So now the Germans will be making binoculars for a US-based company owned by Italians. The current line of Sakos runs in the $2000.00 range and you can find a older rifle like the one I just purchased at 1/2 the price with the same or better performance. It's the same old story just a new version. Remember the pre '64 Winchesters? Prior to 64 most Winchester parts were forged and machined. Screwed rather than pinned. After 64 they were looking to make parts out of stamped metal and plastic. 1964 was also the last year that our coinage contained 90% silver. Thank you LBJ.

JaDub

Serial number on my L61R is 76963 ,  I`m guessing early `70s ??    Would I be wrong to value it at $1,000 or better.  Condition is excellent.  What can you tell me about the L61R model ?
  Thanx as always,  JaDub

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;152250Serial number on my 61R is 76963 ,  I`m guessing early `70s ??    Would I be wrong to value it at $1,000 or better.  Condition is excellent.  What can you tell me about the 61R model ?
  Thanx as always,  JaDub

Sako had 3 classes. Small action bores were first from 1946 to 1957, the P46, P54, P72, P75, M78, P94. Medium action rifles were produced from 1959 on and coded L57, L579, AII, L581, M591. Long Action/Magnums began in 1961 and were coded L61R, AIII, AIV, AV, L691. The last SN in the database of the original 7MM Rem Mag L61R was SN70894 produced in Sept 1972. So your rifle is a transition piece to the Garcia imports. It likely has several parts made including the original barrel and probably assembled in early 1973. The only change Garcia made was to beef up the barrel a bit. Up until 1968 the L61R's had a rather light sporter barrel which was beefed up. Then Garcia beefed it up even more a second time to a standard medium weight barrel. Frankly, the heavier barrel simply shoots better. So far as prices, I see little if any price change from the Firearms International to the Garcia era guns (which lasted for only 5 years). Also the L61R's were available in 2 grades, Sporter and Deluxe. If your rifle looks like mine it's a Sporter. The Deluxe versions bring 5 to 700 dollars more than the Sporters. A 99% Garcia era Sporter will bring 12 to $1400 depending on wood.

Are your rifle rear sight bases smooth or checkered? How about some pictures?

JaDub

From   Subject   Received   Size   Categories   
7204027510@vzwpix.com      4:54 PM   880 KB      

not sure if this will come thru..............

Hunterbug

Here's JaDub's rifle.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

A couple more pictures.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Sight bases ( top )  is  smooth.

sakorick

It's a Garcia "super" and was only made for 2 years or so then they went back to checkering the sight bases. $1200 on the low side and 14 on the high....without the scope of course. Nice rifle!

JaDub

Thanks Rick,
   I`m guessing it`s a `72 or `73 vintage ??    Interesting ………  always fun to find out more about what I`ve picked up.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.   Now I`m going to start working up loads for it.  Right now I`m finding that my Winchester mod 70, 7mm RM likes  55grains of 4350 with  Hornady 165 SSTs .  I`ll start there and see how things go.

And a big thanks to  Hunterbug  for forwarding the pix.  Someday maybe I`ll remember his data path. 8-)

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;152267Thanks Rick,
   I`m guessing it`s a `72 or `73 vintage ??    Interesting .........  always fun to find out more about what I`ve picked up.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.   Now I`m going to start working up loads for it.  Right now I`m finding that my Winchester mod 70, 7mm RM likes  55grains of 4350 with  Hornady 165 SSTs .  I`ll start there and see how things go.

And a big thanks to  Hunterbug  for forwarding the pix.  Someday maybe I`ll remember his data path. 8-)

At least 1973 can't be a 72 with that SN. H or IMR? Hodgdon is very low pressure up to 58 grains.....under 50,000 CUP.

Tags: