Father & son ????

Started by Paul Hoskins, October 16, 2019, 05:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

This little fellow has been sneaking around the  back yard lately. He looks very similar to the beast from 2016 that hung out at night  with the girls here. The most  noticable difference is the shape of the antlers. The brute's antlers grew more upright but the little fellows antlers appear to spread more. I like wide racks. The brute has a very impressive set of antlers though. This is only the second time I got pictures of this one. Last night there was only two pictures of him. Both one minute apart & almost identical. Apparently he was suspicious of the camera in the first picture & the second time confirmed his suspicions & he left. Just my opinion.  ......Paul H

gitano

Nice buck!

Three more years on that young one, and he's going to be a dandy too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I think most deer hunters around here would shoot  him too but I wouldn't waste a cartridge on him. I HAVE killed lesser bucks but just for the meat & because I was getting tired of sitting in the rain. The big boy I would shoot in a heartbeat. .......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

New one last night in the back yard. There's no doubt in my mind the big boy is his father. Same antler shape exactly. They have bulk & heigth just like the bruiser. The time eon the camera hasn't been set back an hour. After three pictures he didn't stick around. He is a shooter in my book. He was out there this morning about an hour after I got up.  ......Paul H

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Two of the lesser boys came in last night together about an hour before I got up. Yesterday evening I sprinkled a bit of Tinks for the first time this fall & apparently this is the results. The buck in the background appears to have the best rack. At least the tines are longer and might have more points. Most likely a year difference  in age. It's nice knowing what's lurking around your back yard at night. The time on the camera is still an hour ahead of the new time. .......Paul H

gitano

What is "Tinks"?

I suspect 'the word' gets around among critters when a local food source is found.

Those are a couple of good bucks, that in a year or two would be wall-hangers. I agree about the age difference. I would guess 3 and 4 year-olds, but I'm no expert on whitetail aging.

I've seen more bull moose around my place this fall than usual, but haven't been able to get any good pictures so far. I've been threatening to get a trail camera for years, but haven't really had a reason. Maybe I will this year.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, your guess of age is exactly what I was thinking. I've most likely seen these two when they were younger but haven't seen them often enough to recognize them on sight like granny. She was recognizable from 2 or 3 hundred yards to both Muffin & I because we saw her almost daily at distances of 3 yards to 400 yards. She had unique markings too as well as personality. We both miss her. She was family. ......Last picture of her back in April attached.  .......Paul H

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;154207What is "Tinks"?

Paul
Deer lure.

https://tinks.com/
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Got it. Tinks = doe estrous urine.

No wonder bucks showed up! T'is the season!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for the helping hand, Jamie.270. I missed Paul's question completely. Eyes are really getting bad these days. Have to use my peripal ?? vision a lot lately or feel things sometimes to identify it. Hopefully I'll never have to identify a leopard or cobra. ........Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Update from last night's activity.     ...The dark picture looks to be a young doe. It must have been just as it was getting dark. I can't see much in low light but it was light enough the flash didn't work. I didn't see it out there even tho it's only 30 yards from the house. There was a few does during the night. I deleted all doe pictures. There has been half a dozen or more horny type coming in the past few days. Deer gun season started this morning in Kentucky. ......Paul H .....Well, the dark picture of the young doe must have been deleted too. :cens:....PH....

Paul Hoskins

Now I have a picture of one that's obviously from the bruiser. Identical right down to the double brow tines. He was in last night close to midnight. Gonna be just like the old man in a couple years. Been a LOT of decent bucks in but all at night. ......Paul H

Tags: