New Species at My Feeder - Boreal Chickadee

Started by gitano, February 07, 2020, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been feeding birds at this house for 20 years, so a species never before seen at my feeders is noteworthy. Today I saw a boreal chickadee (Poecile hudsonicus) at my feeder. I wasn't able to get great pictures of it because I didn't want to spook it off before I got any. Consequently, I had to shoot through a glass door.  When I opened the door to get an unobstructed picture, it flew away. :(

Here's the best of my pictures:

You can google boreal chickadee for better pictures.

The common chickadee we see at our feeder is the black-capped chickadee (P. atricapillus).

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Very cool!!

Chickadees are my favorite bird because they "talk" to you and are curious and know when you took the suet feeders.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

I love chickadees, titmice & nuthatches. I like all songbirds for the most part. I rate house finches, goldfinches & ilk like that right up there with sparrows, starlings & cowbirds.   ......Paul, that boreal chickadee is a really  odd find. .......Paul H  .....

sakorick

Very nice. I love all birds. Each has their place.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Quote from: sakorick;154500Very nice. I love all birds. Each has their place.

I've heard you say some pretty nasty things about goshawks...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;154501I've heard you say some pretty nasty things about goshawks...

Paul

Touche. I  mis-spoke. The Accipiters are the exception as they feed on songbirds.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

In the 'jungle's' law of fang and claw, I usually root for the predators. As a professor of mine used to say, "How smart do you have to be to eat grass?"

I like accipitors because they are the 'A-10 Warthogs' of the avian world. While the falcons are faster, (fighter jets), they can't compete with the accipitors in speed AND maneuverability. It's impressive to watch them get after their prey on the wing.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: