Spokeshave plane blade shapening jig

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), March 09, 2020, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Not much to say, wanted to be able to sharpen spokeshave blades without too much messing around. Scrap block of Aluminium, bit of milling, couple threads. 6mm axle and two ball bearings.

I use some self adhesive discs on a bit of glass, works a treat!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Pretty nifty little gadget, JOe. You're almost as bad as I am for inventing things like that. Seems like there's always an easier way to do things if  you think about it a minute. ......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Thanks Paul, I didn't invent it I remembered that my 'paw' had made something similar for his standard hand planes so cannot take any credit. I'm no wood-worker at the end of the day but know blades need to be sharp! You can shave with my axes.
Turvey Stalking

gitano

One of the aspects of devices made like this is that they are NOT "one size fits all". I appreciate the value of ONE tool/jig that works for several applications or settings, but all too often they don't really work well for any specific application. Also, one usually has to PAY for the 'versatility'. I've been threatening to make some of these task-specific sharpening jigs for a long time. I think I'll get after it.

I've been using "float" glass, (the cheap stuff), and "metal-working" sandpaper instead of REALLY EXPENSIVE, ("Japanese" or "Arkansas"), sharpening stones for decades. A few years back, I went to Home Depot and bought several 12"x18" polished granite flooring tiles. I glued them to a piece of 1/4" plywood to prevent them being easily broken. The polished granite tiles are flatter than float glass, (not that it really matters much), and they are MUCH easier to come by as well as cheaper. What I really need is a good way to sharpen my 18" planer blades. I am resigned to buying a helical, "indexable" head for my planer and jointer. https://www.woodmastertools.com/shop/accessories/spiral-head-for-718-planer-2/ Only $1165 for the 18" planer head. $279 for the 6" jointer head https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-Helical-Spiral-Cutterhead-for-Jointers/T27699?gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihsMVFadV8msuEY4kQd83I4pz1vSuPOg6juEemKKECWe7nxgsFwoNsBoCTXEQAvD_BwE:frown

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Big planer blades become a little more difficult!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;154719Big planer blades become a little more difficult!
Yah!!!
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: