U.S. Krag-Jorgensen: The Foreign Rifle

Started by sakorick, June 13, 2020, 04:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

By 1890 the United States was lagging behind other industrialized nations in the development of a modern military rifle. Many of these nations had developed—or were in the process of developing—bolt-action, repeating military rifles chambered for “reduced-caliber” smokeless-powder cartridges. By contrast, the standard U.S. service arm at the time was still the single-shot, blackpowder .45-70 Gov’t “Trapdoor Springfield.” In order to address this issue, the U.S. Army Ordnance Board appointed a “Magazine Gun Board” on Nov. 24, 1890 to “consider and recommend a suitable magazine system for rifles and carbines for the military service.” After the various rifles were thoroughly and exhaustively tested, the consensus was that the bolt-action Danish Krag-Jorgensen had won. The Ordnance Board’s final report stated:“[The] Krag-Jorgensen [is] … vastly superior for use in the United States service to any weapon adapted to single fire loading only,” and urged that the Krag “be adopted forthwith.” One of the Krag’s salient features was the horizontal box magazine and loading gate on the right side of the action/receiver that enabled it to be loaded and unloaded with the bolt open or closed. Very cool.
While the Model 1896 Krag rectified some of the problems encountered with the original pattern Model 1892, further refinements were deemed necessary. These modifications culminated with the adoption of the “United States Magazine Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1898.” The most noticeable change found in the Model 1898 Krag was the configuration of the bolt recess, or “bolt handle seat,” which simplified manufacture of the receiver. The configuration of the stock in this area had to be modified to accommodate the change. There were relatively minor changes made to many of the other components, but some of the parts remained interchangeable with the earlier Krags. The receiver of the new model was marked “Model 1898” and serial numbers remained in sequence with the earlier models.
So, I had to have one for my collection and here it is 303877 made in 1901. I am in the process of lapping the barrel with the David Tubb final finish bullets as the bore has had a lot of obsolete black powder ammo fired in it since the Army had great quantities of the stuff. These are not hard to reload but very difficult to trim the case because of the large rimmed brass. By the way, the inspector cartouche is J. S. Adams - Chief Inspector, Springfield armory at the time.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Beautiful old rifle there Rick. Looks like some very nice tiger striping in the stock. So I assume this is chambered in 30-40 Krag?

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;155070Beautiful old rifle there Rick. Looks like some very nice tiger striping in the stock. So I assume this is chambered in 30-40 Krag?

Marcus

Yes, 30-40 Craig.

Paul Hoskins

I have an 1896 Krag that my grandfather left to me. It's pretty well  used but still in good condition & shoots  very good. He "checkered" the grip & a place on the fore end with a pocket knife &  three cornered file with approximately 8 lines per inch. It;s the same gun issued to him when he was in the U S Calvary. The first gun issued to him when he enlisted was an 1873 Springfield carbine chambered for the 45/70 cartridge. He gave it to me when I was a kid but my father sold it.  ^#@%$@&$ Not only was I furious, grandfather was homocidal over it. The 1873 looked new. Grandfather carried the Krag in the Phillipines and Guatamala. Imagine carrying a rifle with a 30 inch barrel in the jungles. I have the bayonet issued with the Krag too. ......Paul H ....

sakorick

I would rather carry a 30-40 Krag than a trapdoor single shot. The Trapdoor also had a 33 inch barrel! Fact, they killed many many Buffaloes! Custer didn't do too good with them. Don't leave home without your 3 Gatling Guns!

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I've owned 1873's in both rifle & carbine. Also owned a '73 in 50/70.. It was a tackdriver.   .....I never liked Custer. Arrogant, egotistical & not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll never miss him. ......Paul H

sakorick

I found out that this SN falls in the group of rifles hat had Italian stocks procured which explains the pretty tiger stripes and light color.

Alboy

Took my first deer home that was shot with a 30-40 Krag about 1965 or so. Loaned by my cousin Keith Meadow. Nice rifle, I always coveted it. So did his son Scott.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

JaDub

In my records I see I have an 1895 Springfield Krag.  Was this the first year ??

JaDub

Tags: