Mixed ancestry

Started by Paul Hoskins, September 03, 2020, 06:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

This "grey" squirrel has been loitering around the premises for several days. Obviously it's of dubious ancestry. "Experts" claim different breeds of squirrels don't mix when it comes to the mating game. I have seen it happen. This squirrel has a dark belly instead of the  typical white belly. It  has excessive red in it's coloration & travels in the river otter lope like fox squirels do instead of hopping like grey squirrels do. This squirrel is considerably bigger than most any typical grey. It also stands upright more than grey's do. More like the fox squirrels.  .......Paul H

gitano

There's WAY more hybridization between grays and fox squirrels today than when I was a kid. I have NO idea why that would be. Probably "global warming" - ptooey, or Trump's fault. ;) Personally, I prefer the LOOK of 'pure-breds' - both fox and grays. It's probably time to get some skins and mounts of 'pure' grays and 'pure' fox squirrels, as soon there will be no 'pure' ones to be found.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

His tail looks like it belongs on a gray squirrel, but not much else about him does.

I'll bet he'd still eat okay though. ;)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;155230His tail looks like it belongs on a gray squirrel, but not much else about him does.

I'll bet he'd still eat okay though. ;)

YUP!!:food04:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, over my entire life I've noted changes in wildlife. Mostly the smaller ones  that I'm familiar with. When I was a kid down in the mountains I noted there was few fox squirrels but grey's were plentiful. Ditto for foxes. Grey's were everywhere but reds were scarce as hen's teeth. In the early 1950's there was an epidemic of grey foxes & rabies among foxes. It wasn't unusual to see 6 or 8 grey foxes at the same time in grandpa's fields around the house. When I got out of the Navy in 1958 & started hunting northern Ky., I saw  there was few grey squirrels but lots of fox squirrels. Ditto for foxes around here too. Lots of red foxes but I've only seen two grey foxes in northern Ky. in over 55 years. ......Now, it is my opinion if there is a shortage of male fox squirrels or grey's, for breeding females, the other species can & do fill in. I also have noted the fox squirrel population here in northern Ky. has declined drastically. Grey's far outnumber fox squirrels now. ......I once observed two grey squirrels "chasing" a fox squirrel in late Feb. I knew there was gonna be a fight. It didn't happen. One of the grey's caught up with the fox squirrel & they .....uhhh....locked in the throes of passion. If different breeds of cats & dogs reproduce, why not squirrels??? ......Paul H

Tags: