The winds have shifted!

Started by Jamie.270, September 10, 2020, 10:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

Hopefully authorities will be lifting our Level 2 "'Be Set' to evacuate" order sometime today.
Fierce easterly winds have blown a wildfire down the Santiam Canyon to within a few miles or our doorstep.
We've been packed and staged to bug-out for the last 2 days, and nerves are frazzled, but calming down a little now.
The Nat'l Weather service shows the winds, though light, have shifted to the west and are blowing back up the canyon.
It's an eerie feeling to look outside at noon, and see pitch dark with a blood-red sky.
And EVERYTHING here is covered in ash as I type.
I will be two days cleaning up around here, AFTER I put back all the bug-out stuff.

Stay safe out there folks, wildfires are bad.
They're even worse when the state manages forests for the sake of environmentalists instead of the environment.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Been there, done that. About 25 years ago packed and ready. Fire about 3 miles from our place. As a result of that fire, I built this place as fire-proof as I could: Metal roof, (not standing ridge), 3/8ths inch cementitious exterior planels over solid 8" walls and 10" roof. 10" thick solid concrete walls on basement. The deck could catch fire and burn, but it cannot start the house on fire. Scare me once...

It's scary having to pick what you're taking with you and what what you're leaving for the fire. I never want to have to do that again.

We're rootin' for ya!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Thanks Paul.

The problem with this place isn't how it's built, although that doesn't help, it's the way the trees are situated around it.
There's a line of HUGE fir trees just the other side of the property line that will go up long before the house does, and once they do the house will be toast.
The house is too close to the property boundary, and so are the trees on the other side.

If the fire gets close enough that we're receiving flying embers, we're outta here!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

Paul Hoskins

Be careful, Jamie. Been thru one wildfire myself with no place to go or means to get there. The creek nearby was our only choice if it came to that. I'm hoping your situation improves soon & no evacuation is necessary. .......Paul H

Hunterbug

Be careful. Keep your stuff ready to go, the fire may change fast and you might not have a chance to get it ready.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Be careful on the extreme cautious side.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jamie.270

Quote from: Hunterbug;155254Be careful. Keep your stuff ready to go, the fire may change fast and you might not have a chance to get it ready.

Oh we're about as ready as we can be, and that's part of the issue.
It's hard to stay this close to "go time" for extended periods, and keep the necessary intensity level up, without it taking it's toll on you mentally and physically.

We're on day 4 now.
Glued to the County and State fire/forestry website for updates.

We could leave, but there's been looting of private places that have been abandoned early.  They just caught another pair of looters yesterday with a van load of stuff.
Uhauls are being reported stolen from dealer lots, so some are pretty serious!
We've adopted something of a guardian mentality for ourselves and those neighbors who did leave early.

Sorry to vent on y'all, but this is new to me, and I hope no one else ever has to experience it.
Although it sound as if some already have.
This is far more taxing than I ever believed it could/would be.

Jamie.270

Thanks guys.
We appreciate the words of encouragement.

gitano

Quotefar more taxing...

Yes it is.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

They have reduced our evac orders down to level one for the time being, so we're headed in the right direction.
We're still monitoring the emergency services websites, and the packed stuff will stay out and available for the time being, just not right next to the front door.

But the anxiety level has dropped considerably.
Hopefully the rain that's forecast for early next week materializes and we can get back to something resembling normal around here.

Thanks for letting me vent folks.

PS: Does anyone know a good way to get smoke smell out of the house?

Paul Hoskins

Some good news at least, Jamie. I still wouldn't let my guard down too much. .......I don't know about smoke smell in the house from an outside continious source but you might try spraying Skunk Buster in the house. I find it kills ALL scents in a house. At least for a while. Another possible solution is spraying everything with the stuff you wash your hunting clothes with to kill scent. You can get it at sporting goods stores or Walmart. You may have to go online to find Skunk Buster. It's rather expensive but works on anything that stinks except possibly politicians. ......Paul H

Jamie.270

gitano

Air out and time, is all I know.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Yeah that's kind of what I figured.
So now I'm waiting for a day when there's less smoke smell outside than there is smoke smell inside.
We're supposed to get rain before the week is out, so I have hopes that will help clean up the air.
It's a good thing I had a few Covid masks, they're coming in handy ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgL17uhGB2Q

Jamie.270

Rain!  Blessed Rain!
And Oooh Man is it comin down!

Thank you Lord.
Amen

Tags: