Wooden Boxes and Christmas Ornaments

Started by gitano, September 16, 2020, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Since making the cherry segmented vase (which turned into a lamp), I've been experimenting with more segmented turning. Figuring out 'stuff'. Of the things I wanted to make were wooden spheres. Here are the first three of that exercise. Each has 400 pieces and is 6" in diameter. The two with lids are 'boxes'. The other is an 'object d'art' - :COOLdude:.

I'll provide some 'step-by-step' pictures and 'the story' in another thread.

The 'object d'art' is made of black spruce, red oak. cedar, and ash.
The light-colored sphere with the light-colored spire, is all black spruce except the base of the lid which is bubinga.
The 'spirally' one is bubinga, rosewood, african mahogany, cherry, poplar, maple, birch and holly. The handle on the lid is birch.

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with black spruce to see what I can actually DO with it. Softwoods have their challenges to turning. These are two boxes that actually preceded the above spheres. The spruce sphere was a continuation of the 'theme' with the spruce: Tall, thin cylinder; short, squatty cylinder, sphere.

Finally, I have always liked Christmas ornaments made from sea urchin shells, so I decided to make some for my grandkids. Had so much fun, I decided to make them for a bunch of folks. In the picture, the woods are, from left to right: bubinga, Indian rosewood, birch, persimmon, and red palm.

Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Really beautiful, Paul. You are quickly becoming a master de art in wood turning.  I bet you could make some beautiful art pieces using striped or curly maple & staining it. .......Paul H .....

Tags: