Sous Vide Bison Tenderloin

Started by gitano, September 17, 2020, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Coming right out of the sous vide pot and sliced for searing. (145 degrees F for three hours = medium rare.)

In the pan with bacon grease for searing. Four minutes on the first side, 3 on the second. You could cut it with a spoon.

Each of the bull's tenderloins weighed 5 lbs! These steaks were incredibly tender. I'm quite sold on sous vide for many things, especially tender stuff like tenderloin, fish, etc. AND it makes GREAT soft-boiled eggs at 149F for 40 minutes. That's a long time, but the eggs are PERFECT! The whites are JUST solidified, and you can spread the yolk like butter!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

On a side note:
I find myself once again 'tired' of eating bison. Even these 'delicacies'. I have gotten 'tired' of caribou too, but only after eating it ALL winter from September to March. I wonder if the difference is that caribou are Cervidae (deer), and bison are Bovidae (cows)?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Well since you are sick of it, bring some when you come down to MO this winter!!:food04:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Those steaks look absolutely delicious. Never cared much for bison but anxious to try cape buffalo and wildebeast ?? Gonna check out Jungle Jim's for both. Has to be better than python. Still scratching my head about this  vide pot. Sounds like it might be a crock pot or sometimes called slow cooker. ......Paul H

gitano

Paul - "Sous Vide" - is French and means something like "in a vacuum", but true to French form, that's not 'it' at all. The only 'vacuum' involved is that the food item is usually sealed in a vacuum bag, but that's completely unnecessary. I use regular ol' zip-lock bags.

The idea is that you put your food item - steak for example - in a plastic bag with all the air forced out of it so it stays submerged. There is the 'device', which is a heating AND stirring device which you place in pot full of water. On the device, you set the time and temperature, (for example, the 149 degrees for 40 minutes). It heats the water bath up to the set temperature and keeps it there for the prescribed time. (The stirring circulates the water to keep a uniform temperature across the pot.)

The concept is that you can cook something through and through, to an EXACT temperature. For example, the tenderloins above. Since medium rare for a steak is about 145 degrees F, you set the device to 145 degree and allow enough time (3 hours) for the steak to come to that temperature throughout. That way, the "cook" is EXACTLY "medium rare" from the outside edge of the steak to the core. Also, you CAN NOT "overcook" something. Temperature is "it" for cooking, and as long as the temperature is only 145 degrees F, that steak will never be more than med-rare. Of course, this process provides no 'outer crust'. Personally, for some pieces, I don't care. The meat is exquisite! However, my wife wants it to look 'normal', so I sear them for her.

Restaurants are starting to use this method quite a bit. The restaurant can prepare all of their steaks ahead of opening, then when a customer orders "med-rare", they grab one of the pre-cooked medium rare steaks, throw it on the grill to sear it and give it the right 'look', and voila'! a steak cooked perfectly to the customer's desired done-ness.

I wasn't interested in sous vide (I HATE that name), for a long time, considering it just another gadget food fad. However, I found a device for relatively cheap, AND read about it cooking eggs to the "perfect" (whatever your perfect is), cookedness, and decided to give it a try. Glad I did. The only down-side from my perspective is the time. Everything takes "a while". 40 minutes for those perfect eggs. Three hours for most meats. For how the eggs turn out, I'm willing to wait the 40 minutes for them. I use it for fish (NO OVER-COOKING) and "fine" pieces of meat that I am willing to do a little extra for.

Rick - it will happen.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

So............   how long and at what temp would you do a nice salmon fillet ??

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for the description, Paul. I just never heard of it or never paid attentin if I did. It makes perfect sense but if I want something to eat I want it yesterday & not tomorrow. Time is important to me. The  way I see it, I don't have much time left.  .......I never liked anything French either except girls but I probably shouldn't have married one of them.  ......Paul H

recoil junky

I et so much deer meat growing up and while in college I don't care if I ever eat any more :greentongue:

Elk is where it's at, but I've kilt enough of those and don't care if I kill another.

I'd rather watch the kids hunt now.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

JaDub-Everything is essentially two hours. The critical factor is temperature. If you list to the "experts", I think the temp for fish is like 115F. Fine if you like sushi. Personally, I use 135F for my fish. My wife prefers it cooked more than that; at least 140. 135F leaves it JUST cooked through - just 'flaking'.

Once I figured out about pressure cooking the meat below the wrists and ankles - with all the tendons - I have a renewed 'taste' for game. However, I've eaten so much bison in the past 10 months that pretty soon I've 'had enough'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: