John Talley, AKA Ol' John and LLano John has passed.

Started by gitano, October 31, 2020, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Another of THL's 'founding fathers' passed away on October 29, 2020.

John was another of THL's great souls that I had the privilege of meeting 'in the flesh' and calling Friend. It was John that invited me to THL back around 2001. It was John that conceived of the . 338 Mauser Ackley Improved cartridge, and built rifles for each of us chambered in that round. A cartridge that has become my favorite for all North American big game.

John was a gentleman and a large part of why THL became the extraordinary place it did. As a gunsmith (a REAL one), he was encyclopedic in his knowledge of firearms and especially rifles. He had a soft spot in his heart for military surplus rifles, especially those of WWII, and of those, especially Mausers.

Since John's stroke several years ago, he's been gone from THL and for the most part,  our lives. Nevertheless, he remains a foundation stone of THL, and we sorely miss him.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Alboy

I am grateful we were able to sit across a table a couple of times.
Once for coffee in Hondo and again for BBQ in Llano.
Managed to visit after his stroke once.  Embarrassed to say but I just could not return.
Till Valhalla brother.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: