Birds

Started by sakorick, January 03, 2021, 10:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I took these pic this morning in the fog. How many can you name?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jamie.270

Top L to R: Female Purple Finch, immature Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk, Male Purple Finch?
Bottom L to R: ?no idea?, Scrub Jay, Pine Warbler (Wood Warbler) and a Cardinal together on the feeder.

Those Are my guesses, 'cuz I'm not really very good at this.  lol
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

I'm too blind to identify all of them but Jamie    mislabeled the second picture in the top row and the goldfinch in the last picture with the cardinal. .....Cooper hawks have rounded ends on their tail feathers. Sharpshins have square ends on their tail feathers. The bird in question has a notched tail & is either a house finch  or redpoll. .......Goldfinch males change  plumage in winter to look just like  females. .......Paul H

sakorick

Winter colors and patterns are tough. What my guess is from top Left clockwise 1. Savannah Sparrow(dark race), 2. same bird, 3. Purple or House Finch, 4. Cardinal and Common Yellow Throat, 5. Dark Eyed Junko, and male Purple Finch.
The Common Yellow Throat could be a Goldfinch. The male Purple Finch could also be a male House Finch.

I'll try to get more pictures today.

Paul Hoskins

I downloaded the picture & enhanced it as best I can & enlarged it. I'm sure the " yellow throat" is a common American goldfinch. ........  (1)   Warblers migrate south in winter &  it;s possible to see one in northern Missouri in winter but highly unlikely.   (2)    Warblers do not mingle with other birds. Especially finches.    (3)    Warblers are  carnivores. They seldom if ever eat seeds. Their diet consist almost entirely of insects.  I see dozens of goldfinches daily year round. There's no doubt  in my mind it's a goldfinch. .......Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;155505I downloaded the picture & enhanced it as best I can & enlarged it. I'm sure the " yellow throat" is a common American goldfinch. ........  (1)   Warblers migrate south in winter &  it;s possible to see one in northern Missouri in winter but highly unlikely.   (2)    Warblers do not mingle with other birds. Especially finches.    (3)    Warblers are  carnivores. They seldom if ever eat seeds. Their diet consist almost entirely of insects.  I see dozens of goldfinches daily year round. There's no doubt  in my mind it's a goldfinch. .......Paul H

Yes, it's a Goldfinch

Tags: