Maine youth turkey day!

Started by davidlt89, May 06, 2021, 07:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So, this last Saturday was youth turkey day in Maine. I only have two kids that can participate in this day now, and for my middle boy, it is his last turkey hunt as a youth.
Now, luckily, I have a neighbor down the road with land that holds turkeys. There really is not a huge population of turkey here in Presque Isle, but there is a flock on my road.

I was able to find out where they roosted the night before because they crossed the road about 200 yards from my house that night at the exact time I went to pick my middle kid up from tennis.

We were up at O'dark thirty and in the blind as soon as possible. I was able to bring in a jake for my youngest boy that morning. Then in the afternoon, I played cat and mouse with a nice tom for about 45 minutes before he finally came in for a shot and my middle son closed the deal.

My youngest's jake weighed in at 15lbs and my middle boy's tom weighed in at 20lbs with an 8" beard, almost identical to his bird last year!!

Both boys were happy, and so was dad! God bless.

Gavin turkey 2021 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

Gavin turkey 2021 1 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

garett turkey 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

garett turkey 3 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jamie.270

Way to go dad!
A "Well done" for the lads as well!

It's nice to see the future of hunting is working out for some.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

What Jamie said again. Good to see you around again, David. ......Paul H

Hunterbug

Nice! I love seeing kids get out and hunt.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

branxhunter

Hey that's terrific! Nice work Dad and boys.

I haven't been on THL for a while and it was a pleasant surprise to see you back posting again David!

Marcus

Tags: