Back to Swaged, Jacketed, 8mm Bullets

Started by gitano, July 11, 2022, 12:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I'm putting this post here in the Campfire because the few of us that are left here seem to look here first, and this isn't yet a "Making Stuff" project. When I get restarted on that, I'll start a thread in the Making Stuff subdirectory.

I just wanted to note that I placed an order for 8mm "plastic tips" from Cutting Edge Bullets. You may recall that I got a 'sample' several years ago when I was just starting to swage 8mm jacketed bullets. The 'problems' with those were:
1) They only shipped via UPS and shipping was stupid expensive,
2) They didn't have any 8mm tips and I had to 'make do' with .30 caliber ones,
3) They were stupid expensive.

Now:
1) They will ship via USPS,
2) Shipping is as reasonable as it can be,
3) They're still stupid expensive at $27.50 for 25. :frown

I just ordered 50.

When I get them, I'll start working again on my 8mm bullet swaging. ALSO, you may recall that while I have the 8mm SLT (Steyr Long Throat), for shooting "heavy" (220g) bullets, (with which I am VERY pleased), I always intended to make an 8mm SST (Steyr Short Throat), for shooting "light", (AKA short), bullets. (See here: http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10821&highlight=Steyr) I have a couple of 8mm barrels, and I am going to chamber one of them in 8mm x 376 Steyr, and cut a "short" throat. I've got a bunch of Turkish Mauser actions, and a couple of German '98 actions, but I'm leaning toward a Savage action. (One with the "barrel nut" design. I LIKE that.)

Anyway, when I get going on that project, I'll start threads in the Making Stuff sub-forum, so keep a lookout there.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

That sounds like you are going to be busy Paul. :2thumbsup:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Sadly, when I got them, they WEREN'T 8mm, they were for .30 caliber. When I pressed them on the fact that I had called to verify and was told "yes, they are for 8mm bullets" they retreated to "they work for both", which is what I SPECIFICALLY asked. I told them I didn't want a "one size fits many".

Sigh.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Can't get good service or good help these days. :angry:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Got to looking at the .51 cal. swaging and since that was such a positive experience, I decided I'd make a few more. :D Had a dickens of a time finding the blasted pointing die that I made. Finally, after looking at pictures, thought I might have stored it with the Lee bullet sizing die that I used with it. Sure enough, there it was. :)

I didn't have the dedicated, beefy, swaging press when I was doing the .51s before, so I set it up. :( First, I can't swage those suckers in one stroke in the SWAGING press. Not enough 'arm'. (In spite of being accused of being a "gorilla" by some here at THL. :frown) And unfortunately, the stroke of that press is too long for me to use my technique of 'taking small bites'. I can't screw the die out far enough to get to the cam over point on the press. Back to the reloading press. :(

I made one bullet just to say I did. Looks like I'll need to make a different die for the swaging press. Also, I am going to have to make some pure lead cores. The Oregon Trail .458 bullets I used for a core are too hard for the "one stroke" OR "multiple stroke" method in the swaging press because of not being able to get to the cam-over point. Clearly, some 'work to do'. That's ok.

I will get to making some more 8mm bullets. However, I'm back to the reality that there are now some very good 8mm bullets commercially "available". Available in quotes, because while they are SUPPOSEDLY being made, YOU CAN'T FIND THEM IN STOCK ANYWHERE! Along with several other bullets. Back to the reason to be able to make your own bullets, even if they are supposedly commercially "available". Makes me wanna swear.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: