Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: Horse sense
Old 03-31-2018, 06:12 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Horse sense

Bug, my family history is a mess. I'm sure my DNA couldn't be traced to anything. Back in the 1800's & early 1900's all travel in the holler was on foot or horseback. Only dirt roads or trails existed. A lot of those were creek beds or old buffalo trails. Even today a lot of rural blacktopped roads all over the state originated as buffalo trails. Travel back in early days was difficult & the locals married locals. I suspect half of them married cousins. I know at least 75% of the population were related. For example, around the time grandpa married grandma, two of his brothers married two of grandma's sisters. I suppose you could call it keeping it in the family. Love was scarce. One of my cousins married his double first cousin. Figure that one out. The Census Bureau & the IRS gave up. One of my sisters has traced many of our ancestors & we came to the deduction we're composed of Irish, Scotch, English & Cherokee with Scottish & English being the dominant factor. The Scottish made up about half the population up until around the late 1960's. when the state built a road. Now there's all sorts of trash living there. The place has gone to The woman in the picture is one of my Cherokee ancestors. ......Paul H